I use Windows btw

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sounds great! Tumbleweed has always sounded like a stable rolling-release distro, kind of strange that it never got the attention like Arch or Arch-based distros.

• AnUnusualRelic@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The whole OpenSuSE/SuSE community seems to be on the quiet side for some reason. I never really understood why either. It’s one of the old traditional distributions that’s doing a lot of stuff in the background, but nobody ever hears or talks about it. They even have fun songs.

Maybe it’s because it’s based in Europe (although I would have seen that as a bonus point)?

I don’t even know if it’s very common in the enterprise world, I’ve never actually even seen it there, although I’ve seen lots of Redhat. But according to Wikipedia, it’s out there.

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve only meddled with openSUSE a little bit but I suspect it’s due to several reasons. Firstly, perhaps the lack of marketing. You hear news about Ubuntu and Fedora and NixOS and stuff, but never really about openSUSE, I think? Maybe they do promotions but I don’t know about them that much. As you said, they do a lot of stuff but in the background. Perhaps they’re really more of a technical distribution, for sysadmins and some users?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

They often tend to sell it as a distribution for developers. for some reason. I don’t write much code any more and just use it (tumbleweed) as my main system for general use. I never really noticed it being any different from any other operating system. You just install whatever you need. In my case, I take notes, edit photos, play games from Steam, and do the usual Internet stuff. Mostly what most users do.

• mafbar@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

I see. Yea, someone I know has used Tumbleweed before and it seems fine. Stable and solid. Just out of curiosity, what Steam games do you play? Do you use Proton?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

If you run steam in Linux, you’re using proton.

Currently, I play Deep Rock Galactic, Insurgency Sandstorm, Cyberpunk, sometimes Squad, but I haven’t had the time for a while.
              Games I have to catch up with Generation Zero, Disco Elysium.

All of those work without much fuss.