Say we have two different instances, none of which are blocked by or blocking other instances. Theoretically, shouldn’t their results be the same on the “All” page using the same sorting mechanic, e.g., Hot.

But apparently this isn’t so when I tested it on instances with no blocking or blocked by criteria. Can anyone explain to me why? I’m still relatively new to Lemmy, and I am genuinely curious.

PS: I’m using the “recommended” instances from this git: https://github.com/maltfield/awesome-lemmy-instances

• lotanis
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yeah, that behaviour is very weird. My decision to search for and follow a community shouldn’t affect the “all” of another person on my instance.

• Zamboniman@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s an artifact of how the software works right now. Of course, this could be changed in the future in any number of ways. Things are likely to develop rapidly given the influx of users. Many of these folks are developers and can and will add and change things to make it work better. That’s the great thing about open source.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.tech
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

its a scaling thing and it makes sense in a lot of ways, discoverability however needs to be better. Inevitable instances will want curated default views while users need more power to see everything or block what they dont like easily.