Since MOSFETs have a gate capacitance you’d want to limit the inrush of current from the output of a microcontroller to prevent it from getting damaged prematurely. That’s what gate resistors are usually good for.

Another thing is that most MOSFETs don’t fully activate with a gate voltage below 10V (n type) so usually a microcontroller pin isn’t good enough for switching large loads.

I have a 24V system and have made a voltage divider using two 10k resistors to step down 24V to 12V as gate driving voltage which is pulled down with a weaker MOSFET. The power MOSFET essentially ends up with a 10k gate resistor this way meaning it will take a bit longer to fully saturate.

Is too high harmful? In this situation the load is a heater that activates when the room temperature drops below 18C and deactivates when it gets above 22C so fast switching is not an issue.

• @cmnybo
    link
    English
    74 months ago

For something that’s not switching at a high frequency, slow rise and fall times are fine as long as you are staying within the safe operating area of your MOSFET. A 10K gate resistor could certainly work, but it will depend on your MOSFET and load.

• RoliversOP
      link
      English
      44 months ago

That’s good. My switching frequency is a few times per hour.

I am a little bit concerned that the slow rise/fall time make the MOSFET go outside its operating parameters for a fraction of a second. The resistance gradually changes meaning the mosfet will dissipate more power but also less current will flow.

So if you switch many times per second the gate capacitance with the resistor acts as a low pass filter reducing the gate voltage.

• @jjagaimo@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    64 months ago

It really depends how much power/current you are switching. If you are switching 1A with a beefy heatsink FET, the time spent in the linear region is short enough it shouldn’t be a problem. If you are switching 50A though it then you might have a problem. Depending on how that gate divider is set up, you could still potentially damage the gate of the FET when shorting it to ground to discharge it if I understand how its hooked up correctly.

Ideally you would use some kind of FET driver with a voltage source (e.g. linear regulator) to turn on and off the gate plus the gate resistor.

• Ignotum
    link
    fedilink
    English
    44 months ago

As long as it fully saturates i thiink it’s fine, i’ve personally only had issues with too slow switching when i switch the mosfet many times a second, or when i didn’t give a high enough voltage to fully saturate it, both of which usually led to a smoky mosfet