For me it’s the notification light you used to find on older phones, was particularly good to know if your phone was charged without picking it up

• Sasha@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I used to love customising the notification colour on my old phones, so good.

I miss my headphone jack so damn much, I’m over Bluetooth earbuds breaking constantly and being so damn expensive and low quality.

• wildginger@lemmy.myserv.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Then buy phones with headphone jacks. Mine has one, I dont buy ones without it.

If it matters for you to have it, dont buy phones that cut it. If models with it keep selling, theyre less likely to ditch it.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’d rather just buy a DAP than randomly replace a perfectly good phone with one that sucks in comparison.

• deweydecibel@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

And that why you’ll never get it back. You’re clinging to brand loyalty and hung up on arbitrary crap rather than just trying competing phones. Have you actually used any of those “suck” phones, or are you just going with the usual iPhone/high end android circlejerk?

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

You have assumed completely wrong, friend.

As I mentioned in another comment, if you’d bothered to read it, I have particular needs that mean I can’t really replace my phone with something else right now. I have absolutely no loyalty to brands, and I’m not clinging to something arbitrary.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

It was a perfectly good MacDonald’s, thank you very much!

But in all seriousness, I just have particular needs that literally can’t be met by anything else.

• Dyskolos@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

U could try a usb to jack converter. Looks stupid but at least there’s a jack. Quality sucks anyway as they all use cheap dacs now 😩

• LordOfTheChia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

usb to jack converter

All Most of the ones you can get nowadays actually have a sound chip inside the cable (in the flat part behind the USB-C). So they’re pretty much a USB-C soundcard with just a headphone out. So it’s worth shopping around to find one that has a good soundcard built in.

A good alternative is getting a decent portable Bluetooth audio receiver to plug your regular headphones into. Can get a better headphone amp that way.

• fatalError@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

There are phones that output analog audio over type C so you can have a type c to jack adapter with no dac inside, just wires. That is possible through Audio Adapter Accessory Alternate Mode.

My huawei tablet works with such an adapter, but when I try it with the samsung s10e which has a jack, it gives an error and doesn’t work.

Type C alternate modes are cool, too bad they are not advertised, they should be clearly labled and easily distinguishable. Type C has so many features yet it’s so hard to know what’s available without actually having the devices and connecting them. It’s both a blessing and a curse.

• LordOfTheChia@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

Thanks for the correction. I had thought that only some of the early Motorolas had that feature, but it looks like there are quite a few more phones that support analog audio out via USB-C.

From the wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alternate_modes

Moto Z/Z Force, Moto Z2/Z2 Force/Z2 Play, Moto Z3/Z3 Play

Sony Xperia XZ2

Huawei Mate 10 Pro, Huawei P20/P20 Pro, Honor Magic2, LeEco

Xiaomi phones

OnePlus 6T, OnePlus 7/7 Pro/7T/7T Pro

Oppo Find X/Oppo R17/R17 Pro

ZTE Nubia Z17/Z18

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’ve got a suprisingly good pair of USB C earbuds that I found in my mailbox at the moment, but yeah at some point I’ll probably get a DAC

• corus_kt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I used to have a similar problem - even if well reviewed, budget and midrange bluetooth earbuds would not last while budget-midrange wired earphones would last forever.

Think it’s just build quality for bluetooth buds. I got a set of Galaxy buds, 1st gen, roughly 3+ years and still running strong to this day. Was not cheap though.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I’ve been through two pairs of Sennheiser’s wireless buds, and I’m just over it.

The only thing that might bring me back is the ANC, but even then I get significantly better ANC from my over ears, so probably not.