• j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Looks like PC’s are primed to make the evolutionary switch. The graphics card should mount to the case and the CPU is a card mounted on the graphics card.

• HangryDadOf3@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I built this as part of my Christmas present to myself last year. I cheaped out on my graphics card (6650xt) after splurging on a 4k 144hz Monitor. The 6650 did a great job for the most part but I had to use aggressive upscaling and dialed back alot of settings. I’m giving the card to my nephew today!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thank you! And yes, it’s the TUF card from ASUS. Temps were very good during my brief tests and not even sure if I heard the fans kick on. Probably need to do a longer gaming session tho.

I know there are much cheaper models but I liked the look of this one the best. Also I kept reading about fan noise and even problems with the thermal paste on cards like the red Devil and didn’t want to mess with any of that.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ryzen 7950x and to be honest it’s complete overkill but it was a Black Friday deal and I couldn’t control myself at the time lol

• Entheogen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

So I have the Sapphire Nitro+, and was wondering if you have monitored your temps on idle?

My temps creep up to 62C, then the fans kick on at about 30%, and cool it down to about 42C, rinse and repeat.

It’s the oddest fan curve I have seen. Just wondering if yours act in a similar fashion, or if this is just how Sapphire programmed it. I have been waiting more than a month for a waterblock, and it looks to be a couple more weeks. I’ll be happy when it comes in, because then the fan curves will be a non-issue.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ll have to monitor it while this week and get back to you. I have seen people say that the fan curves are aggressive. I don’t mess with the settings too much but would undervolting help?

• Entheogen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

I try to stay mostly on Linux, and voltage control hasn’t been exposed yet. I may go to my Windows drive and play with it, and test the results.

The fan curves on mine aren’t necessarily aggressive, I just wish they were more constant, at a low level. Still, if you remember when you do, I would love to know how your curves are, out of sheer curiosity.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Quick update for you. I let the Adrenaline software run a log for about 3 hours while essentially doing nothing. It fluxed between 62 and 58C the entire time. I haven’t gotten into any really hard core gaming tests but my son playing Minecraft and me playing Diablo IV never got it above 69c. I’m not even sure if I heard the fans.

• Entheogen@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I appreciate the update! Seems pretty similar to mine, so I’m guessing there a some similarities in the VBIOS. Thanks again!

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

All are Corsair but the vertical fans are the LL series I believe which have the LEDs around the fan and are brighter overall. Don’t ask to see the cable management in the back 🤣