Who’s gearing up for 24 Hours of Cross Stitch this weekend?

For once I’ve actually remembered its happening, so to celebrate maybe I’ll actually take part! Not sure I can really manage 24 whole hours but maybe if I make it a long weekend and fudge the numbers slightly 😅

Only problem is I’m supposed to be #sewing this weekend as well…hmm this is gonna be a busy few days!

Who else is in?

#CrossStitch #24HOCS #24HoursOfCrossStitch

@lemmy_stitch

• MrJameGumb@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I was not aware there were designated cross stitch holidays like this lol! Sadly I will be out of town this weekend, but I will try to take part in the next one!

• thegiddystitcher@lemm.eeM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Oh you’re in a whole new world now. Just wait til you see the kind of absolute nonsense stitchers get up to every year in May!

• witless@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Why, what happens in May?

I’ve seen one challenge that was about making 30 starts in 30 days but that would be a disaster in my house. I’m not sure what it was called though.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah so there’s so-called Stitch Maynia which is the one you’re thinking of. But then I think people realised how unsustainable that was and now there are about a million offshoots and competing May challenges.

Medieval May was a new one I saw around the place this year, and a friend of mine is trying to get something called Moody May off the ground too. Of course a lot of people take an existing challenge and just make up their own rules, which is how we get vaguely-defined variants like Stitch Sania.

Then there’s the fact that the 100 Day Project runs through May as well…basically there’s a lot going on at once!

I learned early on that such challenges are not for me and I have enough stress in my life as it is without making cross stitch into another source of it 😅

• witless@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just had a weekend of solid stitching, not sure I could swing two in a row! But I’m looking forward to seeing your before and after pics (and will try to remember to upload mine when I get home tonight)

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Your poor wrists deserve a break for sure! Sometimes I just sort of make up my own rules, or say I’m doing 24hocs while knowing deep down I’ll be lucky to do 8. Luckily there are no challenge police cracking down on shenanigans. But this time! This time I’m feeling confident! *rolls up sleeves*

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yay! We’re home all weekend with no plans so I’m gonna try and complete it properly for maybe the second time ever, haha. Now the question becomes, since the event is on from Friday - Sunday are you the type to try and do it all in one go, or the type to spread out stitching sessions over the 3 days? 🤔

• Io Sapsai 🌱@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sounds like fun but between our flea market tradition early in the morning, and a relative’s birthday party, I’m not sure if I can commit. On the other hand I’m more than making up for it with my weekday progress. Past week I’ve squeezed in at least 3 hours a day, this week is no different.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is normally me when 24hocs rolls around, but this weekend we have no plans for once! We’re in quarantine before a big holiday that may or may not end up actually happening due to airport strikes, bleh.

Normally I set my own challenge, like last time was during prep for my wedding so I knew there was no chance of taking part, instead I took a starting pic and tracked my time on the project over the next month until it hit 24 hours then took my finish pic.

if you’re doing 3 hours a day that’s already 21 in a week, you could easily do something similar! Not that there’s much point, but it was quite satisfying looking at how far I’d got in the time :D