I prefer “list” view over grid view. Switching to grid view shows six videos before the break, but significantly less information about the video.

• SkyNTP@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Monopolies are problematic, of course, but it’s more than that. Monopolies, especially in the luxury space, still have to compete with consumers making the choice to not consume at all.

It’s more nefarious than that. This is a symptom of “you are the product, not the paying customer”. You get absolutely no say in how to product is used, and worse, your experience will actively be harmed if it means the real client, advertisers, get more value extracted out of you.

Y’all just sheep walking happily into the slaughterhouse, thinking the farmer is here to feed and shelter you, and it’s just missfortune that the farmer has to put you in some dirty cages, when in fact, the farmer does this intentionally because it’s more profitable that way.

Having two factory farms (TikTok) doesn’t make the conditions for the animals better. In fact maybe it even makes it worse, as the farms compete to cut costs.

The real solution is a new buisness model. Organic farms… Or payed video platforms, where the solution provider builds the software for the user, not advertisers.

• kboy101222@lemm.ee
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think we’ve passed the point where any non-free service could compete with a free one. The short term gains of shoving ads in everyone’s face is in full force.

I do think in the future when these companies have burned through every ounce of investor money we’ll go back to paid services, but I think that’s a decade out or more. There already exists a few paid services similar to YouTube such as diet quibi Dropout, Nebula, and Floatplane (I think it’s premium), and I think those will serve as the models for future services.

They’re all rather affordable and their models are setup for people that want to follow creators (nebula and Floatplane) or for people that want to follow specific shows (dropout). They don’t advertise to you, there are no sponsor spots, and they’re always working to improve their platforms for the user. Hell, in a recent episode on dropout, the CEO admitted that their player had issues that they wanted to fix completely unprompted.

Hopefully future services will model themselves in a similar way, of not an improved formula, but again I think it’s a long way out