The unconfirmed allegation is raising concerns that the coffee chain is the latest corporation to cave to far-right attacks on LGBTQ people.

• Col3814444@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

You regularly ‘communicate’ with a man that has been dead for over 2000 years by talking to your ceiling, because you believe that (despite being dead) he has magical powers.

And then go around calling everyone else “crazy”.

• 10A@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

That sure would sound crazy if it wasn’t true. But the part about Jesus being dead is not true at all. 500 witnesses observed His resurrection (See 1 Corinthians 15:3-8.) Why do you think Christianity has spread so far and wide, and has so many converts? Why do you think the Bible has been accepted as the word of God and foundation of Western Civilization for generation after generation? Do you think our forefathers were all dumber than you? They weren’t. The truth is God is irrefutably real, and you’d know that if you open your heart to receive Him.

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
      But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

(Matthew 10:32-33)

• Col3814444@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

And dead people all over Jerusalem ‘rose from their graves and wandered around’… yeah… sure they did bud. Whatever you say.

These are Stories. Not facts, stories. Stories written for children, about magical wizards.

You are the literal equivalent of the kid that -actually- believes in Santa Claus and can’t stop telling everyone around him that he’s the smart one who is going to get all the presents.

• 10A@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

First off I am only four years old, and secondly, are you trying to tell me there’s no such thing as Santa?

Joking.

Yes, the Bible is filled with stories. Some of them are parables to teach us moral behavior, while other stories are historically accurate. You use the word “story” as if you don’t understand the difference between fiction and nonfiction. All biblical stories are either nonfiction or parables.

You’re the one who seems like you’re trying to prove how smart you are, by questioning the word of God. But who ever gave you permission to do that? The comfort of the Bible is that we know what to think, how to think, and how to behave. It is juvenile to question and doubt; it is mature and wise to accept God’s word and do God’s will.

No, I do not claim to be smart. I’m a humble servant of God.

• Col3814444@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Dude, in the comment just prior to that one, you just used the bible as a source of evidence to prove to us all that the bible is true. I have absolutely no doubts about who you think you are.

Since you seem to love proselytising to others I’m going to reverse UNO you dude.

Try reading: ‘The Demon Haunted World’ by Carl Sagan, or ‘The God Delusion’ by Richard Dawkins.

Surely someone so confident in your faith as you can stand up to one little book can’t you? What do you have to lose but the ability to learn and grow?

• 10A@kbin.social
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I grew up an atheist, surrounded by secular culture. While I haven’t read either of those particular books, I’ve read so many other arguments against God over the years. Yes, my faith is strong, but no, I don’t desire to subject myself to the temptation to deny God. I have no doubt the books offer thought-provoking and compelling arguments, as both of those authors are intelligent. And I have no doubt that some Christians have read them and offered critiques and rebuttals, as with any opinionated book. Also I have so many books that I’ve bought but haven’t read yet, and I’m working through them slowly, but I keep buying more! I’m pretty frugal overall, but I definitely lack some self-control when it comes to buying books. So overall, no, I won’t read those, but I honestly do appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

• Col3814444@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

I don’t desire to subject myself to the temptation to deny God

Can’t ever be wrong if you never ask nor answer any questions eh?

• QHC@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Why would an all-knowing, all-powerful, all-loving deity create a universe with pointless suffering? Why do infants get cancer?

Why do terrible diseases like shingles and smallpox exist and why did it take humans to eradicate them? Do you think humanity was acting immorally when they created vaccines to combat these deadly viruses? Surely we were working contrary to god’s will and that is a sin, right?

• 10A@kbin.social
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

You’d need infinite wisdom to understand every decision God makes. I certainly don’t have that. But I do trust that God’s in control, and He has His reasons. And I also know that we’re given challenges and tests of faith in life. That’s all part of the exercise of God’s creation. It’s a moral test to filter us.

Do you think humanity was acting immorally when they created vaccines to combat these deadly viruses?

That’s an extremely interesting question, and I wish it wasn’t buried in this thread about SBC.

I find it interesting to consider the question from a Darwinian perspective first. Through medicine, we humans have nearly eliminated our own survival of the fittest. We keep our weak alive long enough to reproduce and spread their genes. The result is that we’re far weaker as a species than if we took a (decidedly unethical) approach of abandoning all medicine, allowing the infant mortality rate to skyrocket back to premodern norms, and allowing common ailments to destroy us. So inasmuch as morality and Darwinianism are both held their by advocates to be “laws”, yes, medicine is unlawful in a sense. (That’s twisted, I know! Just interesting to consider.)

From my own Christian perspective, no, God made us in His own image, and so just as He created us, the universe, and everything in it, we create things all the time too — including vaccines. God’s in control, so anything we create is something we were allowed to create. Our actions are not always condoned, as we could use any invention for good or evil. God loves life, so vaccines saving lives are good. If He really wants to take someone out, He will.

Honestly I love that question. Thanks. I hope I elaborated enough.