Microsoft keeps shooting itself in the foot with Edge::Microsoft Edge is full of fantastic features, but the tech company makes it hard to appreciate them.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Yes admittedly Windows 3.5.1 was more stable than DOS/Windows. But I still hated the design of it, and the lack of ability to boot into console in particular.

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I’m thinking back to those times fixing broken NT 3.5 machines. I can’t think of many times a console was needed that didn’t have alternate methods to accomplish the same thing. There’s really only two times I can think I’d need what we use a console for today.

• display drivers wrong/bad - VGA mode existed for this where you could get a very ugly 640x480 16 color display that worked on all VGA cards irrespective of driver. You could get into the OS (even authenticate!) and make any changes to the OS needed.

• mass storage controller change/ driver fix - Running through the setup again from floppies (F8 to use new driver) and you’d be back into the OS.

What else did you need a console for?

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

I think mostly for correcting config files, and because I didn’t like VGA mode, it was a waste of time to have to boot into.
        To read logs and disable drivers that caused problems.