Steam has now officially stopped supporting Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1.::95.57 percent of surveyed Steam users are already on Windows 10 and 11, with nearly 2 percent of the remainder on Linux and 1.5 percent on Mac — so we may be talking about fewer than 1 percent of users on these older Windows builds. Older versions of MacOS will also lose support on February 15th, just a month and a half from now. Correction: It’s macOS 10.13 and 10.14 that are losing support. Not macOS period.

• Critical_Insight@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

This is the sole reason my gaming rig is now running on Ubuntu. I have never had Linux on my personal computer before but since I was forced to update the OS anyway, I thought might aswell give Linux a shot.

• JTskulk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

Didn’t stop me from gaming on 7 either. I was only gaming on my windows partition so I didn’t worry too much about vulns. Nothing in 8-11 interests me so I thought I’d try all my gaming in Linux and have been blown away by how good it is. I ran 7 up until last April and the cracks had finally started to show.

• JJROKCZ@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

The cracks were probably because you were part of a botnet for using an insecure OS for years lol

• JTskulk@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

It was mainly due to qt dropping support (used by OBS, I could have stayed on an old version) and Steam for the same reason but Chromium. I probably could have kept my old computer and stayed on 7 for longer if I wanted to.

• Grabbels@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

Nice job ignoring the very real possibility that your computer has been part of a botnet for years. The botnet thanks you for your service.

• JTskulk@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

I did ignore it, literally didn’t read it. You have to run code or data from untrusted sources (or be available on a network) to get exploited, and I know that computer wasn’t doing anything high bandwidth otherwise it would affect my gaming. I literally only played games on the install for a couple hours a night and my browser and other software was up to date.

• Allero@lemmy.today
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Congrats on joining Linux squad!

Linux gaming got waaaaay better than in before times. Also, the system itself is a miracle for someone coming from Windows. I remember that feeling. It’s correct :)

• Postcard64@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

It’s great that Linux is a feasible alternative nowadays. But it’s not like you are using Ubuntu 10.04 from 2010, right? OSs get outdated and stop being supported. That’s just the way it is.