i’ve been playing around with a self hosted lemmy instance for a bout a week so far and loving the whole fediverse concept so far. I’m thinking about also putting up a mastodon instance to see how the micro-blogging is. but i’ve run into some other projects that sound interesting too. so i’m looking at Friendica with the idea of a single feed to cover many sources (mastodon, lemmy, rss, other federated protocols). i haven’t seen it mentioned much or some of the other projects either. are there any downsides to using this approach, instead of a dedicated instances.

• Doug Arley@social.thasauce.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@Glamorous9899 I use a personal Friendica instance as my primary method of interacting with Lemmy. I chose Friendica for many of the reasons you mentioned: I can follow Lemmy instances and people on Mastodon. I can also follow RSS feeds. Those 2 things make up most of the content I want to follow. If there’s a particular subreddit I like, but don’t want to browser reddit directly, I can use the subreddit’s built-in RSS as well.

The biggest drawbacks is you don’t always see all of the comment history of posts, and I imagine this has to do with which instances have federated with my Friendica instance.

In addition, as you can see from this post, if I interact with a post directly it uses the fullname I use on Friendica.

Besides that last little hiccup, Friendica is an ideal solution for me. It’s a great “one stop shop” so-to-speak.