Hello there! I’ve been OSR-curious for a few years now. I like sandbox games where the dice decide reactions, weather, random encounters, etc because that keeps things interesting even for the GM. Incidentally, it also works great for solo play which I like.

However, while the older versions of D&D and retro clones commonly associated with OSR are good games, they’re not my preferred type of game. I want the “powers” that newer games gives me as a player, with more mechanics per class. Therefore, I prefer games like Pathfinder over Old School Essentials.

So, while I think I have a decent grasp of what OSR is, I’m not quite sure what NSR is; my impression is that NSR means “playing in the OSR style, but with modern mechanics”. Is that correct, or maybe I’m completely off the track?

• copacetic
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

There are no precise definitions, no good distinction, and nobody really needs one anyways.

My personal definition: NSR is OSR without the nostalgia. So instead of glorifying old D&D versions, NSR games remove unnecessary complexity and the systems are simpler but just as fun.

• doggoblingames@pathfinder.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think pandatheist at the Bone Box Chant blog does a solid job defining it here (and expanding on it in a followup post): https://boneboxchant.wordpress.com/2019/12/21/nsr/

To quote the definition, NSR games:

• Have a GM, Weird Setting, & Living World
    • Are Rules Light & Deadly (or Consequential)
    • Focus on Emergent Narrative, External Interaction, & Exploration

I think all of those things (except maybe Weird Setting IMO) cover the genre well with an intentionally broad and inclusive definition. I also think looking at examples may be most illustrative and understand that it’s more a community than one particular set of traits. Yochai Gal (of Cairn fame) has a great article on this very idea: https://newschoolrevolution.com/2022/05/04/the-new-new-school-revolution .

• yochaigal@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is a good answer. As the blogpost says, I would separate the NSR design community and the NSR philosophy into two related but distinct categories; essentially what @Enfors@lemm.ee suggested is correct. Cairn for example is very much an “OSR game” in that it focuses on lethality, problem solving, critical thinking, emergent narrative, and so on. But it eschews B/X compatibility (not even close!).