cross-posted from: https://programming.dev/post/8121669

Taggart (@mttaggart) writes:

Japan determines copyright doesn’t apply to LLM/ML training data.

On a global scale, Japan’s move adds a twist to the regulation debate. Current discussions have focused on a “rogue nation” scenario where a less developed country might disregard a global framework to gain an advantage. But with Japan, we see a different dynamic. The world’s third-largest economy is saying it won’t hinder AI research and development. Plus, it’s prepared to leverage this new technology to compete directly with the West.

I am going to live in the sea.

www.biia.com/japan-goes-all-in-copyright-doesnt-apply-to-ai-training/

• ericjmorey@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Wouldn’t surprise me. I can’t read or speak Japanese and don’t do much active searching for changes in Japanese law and regulations because I’m pretty insolated from those most of those decisions. So I’m just coming across it now and and have very little context around this. It was the first time I heard about it and it seemed like a big deal. Seems many others als didn’t know.

Taking the time to put the source article (in Japanese) through Google translate indicates that the Japanese Government made some decisions in April of 2023 that are still being discussed in concern for the effects it will have on the world.