I’ve got a substantial library of games on GOG and Epic that I wanted to play on the Steam Deck, and I’ve used the Heroic Launcher with some success to access a lot of my libraries on those two platforms, but managing the compatibility per game is a bit frustrating and sometimes after an update things break.

Can anyone else share any success or failure stories here? The only other place I’ve seen this discussion was on Steam itself and I wanted a non-steam take on the practice of running non-steam platform games and what works.

• Overzeetop@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is the biggest reason for me considering wiping my steam deck and installing windows. I know that’s heresy in this community but, honestly, I don’t give two shits about my OS, I just want to play the games. If using the touch pad and a set of desktop icons (which is how my desktop pc is configured) works, fine. I’ve never owned a console and don’t need the console experience.

For now I have more Steam backlog than I can play, but when I get around to swapping the SSD…well , I’ll burn that bridge when I get there.

• BaroqueInMind@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

wiping my steam deck and installing windows. I know that’s heresy in this community but, honestly, I don’t give two shits about my OS

Can you please explain why you think this would be heresy? Because, for example, if you hypothetically figured out a way to install MacOS on the thing, you’d be applauded. No one cares what OS you installed on it.

• Björn Tantau@swg-empire.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They are probably talking about the attitude r/SteamDeck had about installing Windows. Anything even mentioning that was often downvoted to oblivion. And since Lemmy users are probably more open to open source software they were expecting that to be the case here as well.

Personally I am done with Windows. I won’t install it on my Steam Deck or my desktop PC. But I see why someone would want to do that. If I were to install Windows on my Deck because of some multiplayer games or so I would probably not even dual boot and instead focus on making the experience on Windows as good as possible.

• theCheek@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I have windows 10 installed on a micro SD card for those games that simply won’t play nice with steam OS, but I find myself using it less and less