Seriously. I don’t want to install something on my phone when the dev is just using a WebView, if that’s what it’s called. When the app is basically just a website with the browser hidden.

What’s the reason for that? To attach the customer? To sell the app for money? Is there more ad revenue that way? Do you reach more people?

(Are there any good reasons for it, too? Security, maybe?)

• Gormadt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

If they have an app they can gather far more personal data from you (and your device) that they can then turn around and sell

• BOFH666@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

This exactly. Just ask for some location rights in the app and get access to wifi also.

Most users don’t mind giving an app a large amount of access and in doing so, a lot of personal information gets exposed.

If you have a choice, use a website.

• Gormadt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Hell apps can gather a lot of info without actually asking for permissions

For example the accelerometer can be used without permissions

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              6 months ago

Sensors permission toggle: disallow access to all other sensors not covered by existing Android permissions (Camera, Microphone, Body Sensors, Activity Recognition) including an accelerometer, gyroscope, compass, barometer, thermometer and any other sensors present on a given device.

• NightAuthor@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

I’m surprised that’s not commons behaviour now, just look at what people are doing in research papers. With enough of that data, they can figure out quite a lot about you and your life.

• bartolomeo@suppo.fi
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                6 months ago

Very cool. I just checked Lineage OS and it looks like Google Play Services doesn’t let you disable sensors permission. Can you do it on Graphene OS? Lineage lets you control it on all apps except Google Play Services it looks like, which would actually be one of the top apps to disable it on imo.

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

I just checked Lineage OS and it looks like Google Play Services doesn’t let you disable sensors permission. Can you do it on Graphene OS?

Yep, there’s a toggle to disable by default globally. I also individually checked Google Play Services, Google Play Store and Google Services Framework, and all three can be denied the Sensors permission.

This is due to Sandboxed Google Play: “GrapheneOS has a compatibility layer providing the option to install and use the official releases of Google Play in the standard app sandbox. Google Play receives absolutely no special access or privileges on GrapheneOS as opposed to bypassing the app sandbox and receiving a massive amount of highly privileged access. Instead, the compatibility layer teaches it how to work within the full app sandbox.”

• qaz@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

Another reason is that they can more easily send push messages to the user.