Hi! I’ve been working on a list of RPGs (mostly japanese or j-influenced somewhat) in which the cast is mostly adults. The list is hosted on backloggd.

Leaving it here both in case it may be useful to anyone, but also in case you spot any missing titles that you believe should be added :) cheers!

P.S: the only reason for not taking western RPGs into consideration is because… well, most of them already feature adult casts. Think series such as Divinity, Shadowrun, Baldur’s Gate, etc. However, those usually play dramatically different when compared to the JRPG-style turn-based combat.

• Wugger@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I like it. Almost all jrpgs and anime these days are targeted at children or adults who like anime for children. I miss when there was more content made to appeal to adults.

• Katana314@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

The funny thing is, I don’t think even this is a right way of looking at it. I think variety in the characters you view makes them more interesting; adult characters can definitely come across as heroic even to kids. It’s not necessarily excluding them as an audience.

• memo@feddit.itOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

This! I mean, if we take a well-known and loved example, Goku is 18 by the time the first Dragon Ball series ends up, while being around 23 at the start of Dragon Ball Z. Also, I don’t think it’s bad to have a teenager as the main character once in a while, but we have to admit that it happens a little too often and in dubious way in japanese media in general. That’s because this whole thing sadly has a market, and it’s ever-expanding too, as @Wugger@lemmy.world said.