Those seem incompatible to me.

(UBI means Universal Basic Income, giving everyone a basic income, for free)

• KevonLooney@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

Yes, except that costs will also go up for services because there will be fewer workers. I’m in favor of UBI but it will definitely increase costs, especially for wealthy people who rely on relatively cheap help.

Most wealthy people don’t even manage their own households. They hire people to drive their cars, cook their food, and take care of their children. They pay other people to build or renovate their houses and even manage the building and renovating.

People won’t want to work for low amounts of money. It will literally be too expensive to be wealthy. The few people who do want to work in service positions are going to ask Jeff Bezos for a million dollars a year.

• Professorozone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Do a quick calculation of what you can afford to buy with a billion dollars. Actually, I’ll do it for you. At, just 6% per year, a billion dollars generates 60 million dollars each year. The numbers are absolutely staggering. Virtually nothing is too expensive for the wealthy. Which is why billionaires generously volunteer to pay more in taxes and provide excellent benefits to those who work so hard for them. /s.

• Echo Dot@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I pay people to build and renovate my house what’s your point?

Rich people have more than enough money to be able to afford to pay their staff a bit more money if they don’t have enough money to pay their stuff a bit more money then they are in fact not rich.

Also who cares anyway?