• Wistful
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Imagine if everyone who made this kind of post, made a post on their fav niche sub instead.

• minnieo@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

literally this. i see a lot of mods of niche communities working their ass off trying to generate content with 0 help, including me. and all people do is complain that they aren’t doing enough, it’s not active enough, while doing nothing to help it grow.

be the change you want to see. contribute to your communities, especially niche ones.

• Apathy Tree@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I would like to do this but I’m basically a waste of space, and not really capable of either thought provoking questions or funny/engaging content for the things I want to be part of. I can engage with others, but I’m not unique or creative enough for starting the conversation (same in person actually).

I know this because I tried several times many years ago to run my own Facebook pages for… well I tried various things and got very little engagement on any of it when Facebook pages were peak social media.

I know random facts about random science things that most people don’t understand (I probably don’t either, but I think I do!), but nothing that would actually grow any of the communities I’d like to see grow.

So while it is exactly that easy, it’s not necessarily that easy.

• SuperSoftAbby@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Honestly, even just making lame comments and upvoting is helpful. It shows the people creating things that what they are doing is working which will encourage them and others to post more.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

And this is what I do (though I try to add to the conversation mostly), I’ve even started upvoting actual posts if I read them and learned or whatever, which is something I only did on reddit when sorting by new. The new habits are super difficult.

I’ve been way way more active here in way more diverse places than I maybe should be (I usually browse -all- right now to sub/block communities, and chime in on a ton of posts I don’t sub) so I hope it helps the posters, and I know it helps the statistics, but it isn’t the same as raw new content.

Fwiw, I’m not even deleting my comments every other day like I did on reddit. I know the content on fedi comes up randomly because sort bugs now and then so I’m being more careful about what I comment and leaving almost all of it completely intact. It’s very very difficult to do that 😅 I interact while intoxicated and am a ball of anxiety, and those don’t mix well. Purging my interactions was catharsis.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

This dude has done a lot to populate the community he’s promoting with content. He’s the only contributor so far

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I told my friend about your community. Also the whole infosec instance since he does infosec, and that seems like it might be a good local feed… idk if it’s up his alley, but hopefully!

It’s well beyond me, sadly :(

• cyph3rPunk@infosec.pubOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Thanks! I’m hoping to build a community of benevolent, thoughtful people who want to discuss technologies and their applications toward the betterment of humanity in the future.

Ps. I welcome all people and all experiences. I even welcome haters.

You don’t need to be a coder to belong to this community. It might just teach you something about protecting yourself in the future.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Solarpunk for tech? I dig it. I followed the community, you seem to really care about it, and while I don’t understand a lot of what you posted, I dig it.

I’ll try to participate when I can, but I can’t promise a whole lot. :)

link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

I look forward to it!

I hope you are prepared for very noob questions cuz ima probs throw some at you, it being what I know.

I’m a science and tech communicator by training (drastically underemployed as tech customer service, but if someone would just give me documentation to do, damn…) so no dummy; don’t know shit about software dev/coding but I learn very well. :)

Have a wonderful day/night! Bed I go.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 months ago

Awesome! I’m clawing back more time from work and working towards some open source hardware and software stuff. Will be fun to post once I have things underway. Mostly, I’m aiming at free and open FPGA libraries and actually useful AR/mobile computing stuff that fits in with the positive technological side of cyberpunk, rather than the dystopian. Absolutely want to dig into doing LoRa at some point as well, myself.

EDIT: Just realized that I misread the community name but, I’m still into it.

• SuperSoftAbby@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Ugh. Fine. The whole concept is very idealistic. But I subscribed any way, because your right. I might learn a thing.

• Comment105@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Wouldn’t fix the problem, the reality is that we’re not many enough. We could grow tenfold and still not be many enough.

• Wistful
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

You are right. Back to Reddit…we tried.

• spaduf@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Post y’all. Everybody’s still sorting by new and new comments. Now’s the time to make it happen.

• Stache_@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Thanks for linking this! I’m subbed to a few other OSRS instances and it doesn’t seem like there’s a consolidated lemmy forum quite yet

• Wren 🌙@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Feel this. I’ve slowly gathered a more people than I expected (~60) on an ‘idlehands’ community for fidgets and skill toys, and I’m now hoping they migrate with me over to a new instance since I expect the .ml issue will be a problem (if not this time, going forward)

So, if anyone likes seeing fidgets and skill toys (begleri, chetki, knucklebones, yo-yos, etc) feel free to join over at: !idlehands@lemmy.blahaj.zone :)

• DeadGemini@waveform.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

!hardcore@waveform.social

A community I created for the discussion of hardcore punk.

r/hardcore is the only subreddit I miss, as it was pretty much the only subreddit with a soul. Working on rebuilding a similar community on lemmy. We’re growing, I think we’re the biggest hardcore community on Lemmy, but these lazy mfs don’t post anything lol.

If you wanna discuss hardcore, post your band’s music, post info about a show, link to resources for finding shows, link to your band’s merch store, feel free to subscribe! I’m a big fan of the DIY mentality in music, so if you’ve got something, share it mother fucker!

• atyaz@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I know you’re joking, but I would so love if Filipinos or some other countries would switch from facebook to mastodon/lemmy. It would make this place so lively.

• SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That’s true, it would genuinely be cool to have them on here. I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to a Filipino before