Hi all,

I’ve been reading an excellent sci-fi book recently (the bobiverse by Dennis E Taylor) and it made me think it would make for a pretty good RTS game. I don’t think it exists but I’ll ask in case I missed it:

Usually you start skirmish games by choosing the teams first, choosing how many AIs play against or with you. Some games allow you to change the teams in-game but as far as I know, none let you create an extra player during the game.

Is there a game in which you can, for instance, create/build a unit that once finished becomes a permanent AI ally, autonomous?

I can easily imagine scenarios very suited for such system, have an adversary grow very strong very fast which could not be overcome alone. The player would have to play smart to have the resources required to build an AI which would then join the fight and alleviate the pressure somewhat.

Probably doesn’t exist but it’s also an opportunity to share a good book :)

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Stellaris use to about 3 overhauls ago.

You could set up planets into sectors and the sector became a semi autonamis.

• maynarkh@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Steel Division 2 does something like that.

You can select a bunch of units and give them a simple goal like “take this area” or “defend this village”, and they will become a “mini-faction” and automatically do the necessary microing like setting up MGs in houses and forests, or flanking attacks, with armor taking preferably the open areas while infantry goes house-to-house. Large battles are unmanageable without either this, having many players, or playing at half speed.

I think some Total War games also do something like this, automatically setting up formations to counter enemy moves.