• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

But… She had money! What, do you expect her not to try to make her gold breed? People with money should get more money! It’s only fair!

/s

• iopq@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

She had a few hundred K, she needs to make that divorce settlement last until she retires. Social Security is absolutely nothing

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

a few hundred k

That doesn’t really make me feel sorry for my comment. I make do with <25k a year. A few hundred k would last me over a decade.

• iopq@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

She spends the same amount of money as you do, she just doesn’t plan on dying in a decade.

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

My mom is the landlord and remodeling houses IS her work. She was a stay at home mom until I grew up, that’s what she does for a living after she divorced my dad. She lives on the rent of her properties while she does each project

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

She lives on the rent of her properties

This is exactly the thing people have issues with. The whole “I am the breadwinner of my landlord’s household.”

• iopq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

That’s why I thought she should just buy stocks and live off dividends instead. I mean, any investment has a rate of return or people would not buy it

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

Yup, and housing shouldn’t be an investment. It can be affordable, or an investment, not both.

• iopq@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                6 months ago

Then you should support less zoning restrictions and lower development fees to increase the availability of housing.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  6 months ago

I do? But I also support laws that heavily tax owning secondary properties. Building more houses is not helpful if they just get purchased by landlords.

• iopq@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    6 months ago

Landlords follow market pricing, so if there’s enough housing the prices go down. Landlords are not the reason rent is high

• iopq@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

She’s the one who hired contractors. You need someone who decides what work needs to be done, find the people who are qualified, and pay them.

Not all contractors do good work, she got scammed once by a guy who does crap labor and tries to upcharge to fix it. It happens

Even if she sold the houses, the person buying them would probably want a return on their investment and end up renting it out to people

The only way rent would be cheap is if there was a lot of supply of it, less restrictions on building like zoning, fewer fees on developers.

• UNWILLING_PARTICIPANT@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Look one of my siblings is doing the same thing. I’m happy I don’t have to worry about them financially, but I’m not going to say I wouldn’t prefer they made an honest living

• iopq@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            6 months ago

My mom is too old to wash dishes in a restaurant, it’s really hard labor and she has carpal tunnel. She tried, it’s just not something a 60+ year old person is fit to do. So she can’t just sit on that money and do hard labor on the side. But drawing some plans and hiring contractors while painting some walls on her own time is something she can do