• CannedTuna@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

“…and because they burn villages and homes, eat livestock and people. Do you really have to ask why we should kill the terrifying man eating beast?”

• chillhelm@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

No. Metal Dragons are so GOOD so LOUD at all times that the resulting tyranny is as bad as a chromatic dragons. You stole a loaf of bread because you’re starving? Still theft, you die.

• nxdefiant@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

silver dragon: This is NOT a “human costume”, this is my PERSONA. YES, I’m going to wear it to the restaurant, what’s the problem?!

• CannedTuna@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I mean sure as far D&D goes. But generally speaking dragons are giant, scary, flying, firebreathing, winged monstrosities with lots of scary sharp teeth and claws.

• Alteon@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I have a very strong feeling we’re about to have a lot of dragonslayers coming back into popularity within the next few years.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

I think those tropes were mostly accidents actually, in medieval times you’d slay a dragon because it was literally a demon from hell, like that’s literally where fire breath comes from, because their mouth is a direct portal to hell and opening it can unleash the fires of hell.

Tolkien is probably one of the first authors to portray the Dragon’s horde in a context of a sign of the Dragon’s immoral character, as opposed to an incidental that made for a good source of loot for the hero to get a cool new toy from, and even then that’s how most narratives involving dragon’s hordes treat the actual horde, the horde itself, given back to the people or not, is not especially relevant except for a few choice items which the hero takes a shining to and keeps, it’ll happen in D&D just cause.

• DigitalTraveler42@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Just to point out, belief and depictions of dragons transcend European literature and mythology, so limiting dragons to European medieval depictions and Tolkien means ignoring other cultural depictions.

Overall Smaug was based on elements of Beowulf’s Bane and Norse mythology’s Fafnir, and Fafnir is considered Norse symbolic for greed.

• PhlubbaDubba@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Yeah but we’re talking about a euro-centered perspective anyways since it’s a knight out to slay the dragon and not an emperor seeking council of their dragon ancestors or Quetzalcoatl being Quetzalcoatl as usual

• samus12345@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Yeah, although Western and Eastern mythological giant flying reptiles are both called “dragons,” they’re very different creatures.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

I assumed from the talk of a king and knight that these were euro dragons

• qarbone@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I believe the spelling for the mass of treasure is “hoard” as opposed to the mass of bodies, “horde”.

• Kusimulkku@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

I would’ve assumed because they’re big, dangerous, unpredictable animals. Like killing wolves or something.