• LeafOnTheWind@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

In my case I’m renting and where the Internet comes in is in the other room. I got a good router and WiFi card though (the first WiFi card I bought was highly rated garbage though. Would drop off 5g whenever downloading something for awhile, like through steam)

• habitualTartare@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Powerline adapters use the ac electrical outlets to run Ethernet. It’s not as good or cheap as just Ethernet cables but it’s usually better than wifi.

• LeafOnTheWind@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

In my experience those can be a bit finicky depending on the outlet. My connection has been good on WiFi so far. Even on fps games like apex I do just as good as I do on Ethernet (not great)

• 𝕽𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖎𝖊𝖘𝖙@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

Actually imo for most people it’s not gonna be better than WiFi.

There’s a fairly high chance of having issues depending on your electrical wiring and choice of outlets.

Additionally the latency is not amazing and while you may get higher raw bandwidth (if your WiFi is old and you signal is garbage) for a lot of users latency has more of an effect on the quality of their experience and if it’s not any better than their WiFi was they aren’t likely to be all that impressed.

I would either upgrade the WiFi instead or suck it up and run some Ethernet.

The cables can often be easily tucked under the moulding between the wall and floor, especially if you have carpet. Ethernet is low voltage so you do not really need an electrician to wire it for you.

Worst case find a way to shove it through the walls or behind some moulding, it’s not a fire risk at that wattage so go nuts. No matter how annoying the effort, in the end you will be much happier for much longer than any other solution.

• dev_null@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Same, I just bought a 20m Ethernet cable and some stick-on cable guides and it runs on the ceiling and through doorways. Not visible and no drilling.

• Dizzy Devil Ducky@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

I do it because:

1. I don’t have a long enough Ethernet cable.

2. I don’t do anything that really requires Ethernet connection speeds (besides large downloads on occasion)

• Alawami@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Why not? you would be surprised with the stability a high quality wifi router provides.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Stability, speed and latency are always going to be better on similar generation wired connections and it isn’t remotely close.

• Schmeckinger@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

Using a 5GHz network with little to no overlap for my tablet/steam deck. No issue streaming with moonlight at low latency without jitter.