• Riccosuave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

Not gonna lie, as someone in their 30’s that just returned to higher education this kicked me right in the dick. I was a great student, and loved school until I was enrolled in a Christian middle school where my education tanked (especially math & science). Then in ended up in a good quality high school where my first science teacher had no consideration for the missed concepts that I had no way of knowing about, and so I barely passed his class. The same thing happened to me in math where I ended up in Algebra II, but had missed many of the ways the curriculum was taught in their school system so I struggled. This, along with the fact that I had serious life turmoil from 11-21 caused me to give up on education. (everyone in my family died, including two suicides, except my mom who was checked out at the time dealing with estate shit)

Anyway, feels really bad to be so far behind the curve on mathematics especially, but I have been soaking up the course work through Khan Academy like a sponge. I feel like I have learned more concepts more thoroughly through that free resource in the last 6 months that I did in the entire 12 years of school. I started at Algebra I, and am now moving on to Geometry. My goal is to make it through at least pre-calculus as my desired career field is technology. If you have any insight or resources on math education I am all ears.

• somethingsnappy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I am very sorry for your losses. Nothing can bring people back.

Math especially requires learning from the bottom up. Most concepts require an understanding of one or more basic concepts, and as you say, just keeps building.

Khan academy is probably the best and least monetized site I know of. MIT Open Course Ware is also good.

There are no rules, go find yourself.

• GluWu@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

First, thanks for sharing. That’s a bummer you got behind, but you’ll be able to learn anything you put yourself to.

I think the most valuable thing is to use the resources that help you the most. If that’s online videos, do that, if that’s in person tutoring do that. Obviously they teach how to do math a certain way but the doesn’t mean it’s the best for everyone. I think it’s so awesome that places like YouTube and khan academy are there so people can get what they need.

Get as much as you can with online resources. Try and learn as much as you can. When you come across problems you can’t do, put them some where to come back to. Move on and keep learning. Then come back to those. You might have just figured it out without realizing. And if you still can’t figure it out then that’s a great thing to take to a tutor to ask questions about. You’ll get your money’s worth from a tutor if you already have questions and problems you need help with.