• DannyBoy@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s hard to find a big tech company that hasn’t been laying off like crazy lately. I just hit 200 days yesterday learning French.

• voodooattack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I couldn’t imagine myself doing it either tbh, but I started learning on Duolingo as a personal challenge: to prove to myself that I can still learn something new every day and allay my irrational fear that I’m getting too old to improve at anything.

And it worked. That fear is gone now, but the streak goes on. Not letting it go cause I’m that stubborn.

• voodooattack@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I think so? But it’s not like I spent more than 5 minutes a day practicing in the past 3 years or so. My sessions certainly go down depending on how busy I get.

Also fun fact: I had to practice German during my wedding. Didn’t go well with the wife but now she gets it. Hehe

• LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

2200+ fire streak since I joined 10 years ago (multiple languages). Lost the streak a few times before. I’m not fluent but maintaining it helps me to improve a bit every day.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Impressive, which languages are you learning?

• BlazeOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I’m learning Spanish too! We should create a community to practice ha ha

• LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Good idea. That’s what I’m missing about Duolingo tbh. Let’s start it. Maybe we should make a discord or alternative?

• BlazeOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              5 months ago

I was more thinking about a Lemmy community, I asked about a Spanish instance a few days ago on !fediverse@lemmy.world, seems like there isn’t any at the moment.

I have been thinking about it for a while, I’ll keep you posted about the potential options

• LemmyHead@lemmy.ml
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                5 months ago

What’s wrong with this community if you want to keep it on Lemmy? I think it would fragment the community unnecessarily

• The Humanoid@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

0, I quit

Before I killed it, I had 443, and easily could have kept going if I had desired

The layoffs and AI thing are only a partial reason for me leaving The whole volunteer shutdown when that happened, hiding 4 of their courses, and some other minor bad decisions made me stop Not to mention, Duolingo is very slow at times and doesn’t teach any grammar unless you happen to be learning one of the 3 top languages

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Makes sense. Are you aware of any open source alternative?