I got a minimal setup with pihole and nextcloud. I was wondering what else I could do. Share your ideas🙂

• bloopernova@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

With extra bonus: write an installer script that symlinks the files to the correct place. Use Ansible, plain old Bash, or Python depending on your preference.

• indigomirage@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’m waffling between that or just setting up a bare git repo. Am prepping a VM or two to explore the pros/cons of each approach and to dive into the implications.

It’s funny - this project idea seems to free bubbling up everywhere this past week. I’m sure I’m seeing the consequences of search algorithms, but on Lemmy, it’s nice to see what is a definite and pleasant coincidence.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

When in doubt always do a git init . and a git add, git commit every once in a while. You’ll never regret it.

• indigomirage@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

That is the next item on my to-do list. I’ve already installed my own gitea container to run at home. Yes, I could use a public repo (set private) but I wanted I learn how to do this and besides, I wanted to cast a wider net for which files to store but not worry about inadvertently publishing something with passwords embedded…

• krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I didn’t really see the benefit of this besides having a snapshot or backup of my home folder for my use case (I don’t have that many config/text files that needs tracking), but I can recommend chezmoi for those interested.

• Hominine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

If you’re not using your pihole as a recursive DNS server that is a natural next step that ties neatly into where you’ve already gone. Wireguard can also easily run next to it if you want a lightweight VPN for when you’re away from your network.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Paperless-ngx. It’s a document management system for home users or small companies. Pretty cool if this is something you need. If you spend a lot of time filing away documents, you definitely need this.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Just keep in mind it will take a bit of effort to add and categorize your stuff. 😄 I’ve had Paperless installed for two months now but can’t get around to actually moving my stuff into it.

• makunamatata
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

You are so right! That is the painful part that no one talks about! Took me a few days to get paperless-ngx working, because I had wrong firewall and port settings preventing docker containers communicating with each other. Once solved that I was proud and relieved - started scanning and categorizing - but in hindsight that was nothing compared to the amount of work to move stuff to it. I finally accepted that I will just have to keep doing that when I feel like it… which for the past months has been “never”. I now only put new docs in, but the older stuff is still sitting in nas folders.

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Once you have some documents indexed, it’ll learn to apply the correct metadata automatically. That works pretty well. You can also apply the data through the REST API, if you have the data available already. But yes, that’s a bit of work. But paperless-ngx makes this easier than any other DMS I’ve ever used.

• ouch@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

What are the benefits over just putting documents in a git-annex repository?

• Diplomjodler@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Retrieval. Indexing everything thoroughly is a bit of a faff but once you put in the work, finding that one invoice from two years ago becomes very easy. If that’s not a factor for you, git will work too.

• fxdave@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I made a home inventory management software, because I don’t have much space in my flat, so I track every single piece of the compressed pile of boxes; with qr codes on them.

It’s a very simple app but you should have a printer to print qr codes for the boxes.

The documentation lacks some detail, so ask anything about it, if you want to try it.

https://github.com/fxdave/DavidHomeVentory

EDIT: yeah I didn’t update the readme. The installation may not work. So tell me if you want to give it shot.

It looks like this in action btw:

• dalë@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

My weekend project will be install mint for my first flurry into Linux.

I’m going to set it up for some light gaming and media streaming.

Running on a Dell Latitude 4980, long term hoping to learn enough to set up a home jellyfin server.

• dalë@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Thanks. Finally after Mint didn’t recognise my network adaptor I tried Manjaro (everything worked great, but I don’t think I’m ready for Arch) so ended up on Pop_OS … everything works so I’m going to stick with this for now.

• dalë@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            5 months ago

Good to hear, I’ve not had any issues so far. The only “niggle” I’ve had is when pairing my Bluetooth devices I’ve needed to turn Bluetooth on and off for each pairing bit once done they’ve reconnected fine.

• caseyweederman@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Do what I do. “Oh shoot, Jellyfin stopped, now I have to remember how to tell Arch to clear out its cached packages” (it’s pacman -sc if you’re me and you’re reading this in the future)

• Father_Redbeard@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

This is me… In general with Linux. So I have a whole section of my Obsidian vault dedicated to troubleshooting and setup steps for my server projects. It’s saved me hours of research already. Stupid brain…

• UNY0N@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m learning about i3 and xfce on arch (my daily driver). I’m not linux expert, but I’ve been really enjoying figuring things out after switching from ubuntu to arch. This weekend I’m getting the icons for network manager applet and clipman working on the whisker panel, and then removing the i3bar.

Well, at least that’s rhe goal. I don’t have much free time, so tbis will mkst likely be a month project, not a weekend. :P

• fleet@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I have an old mini PC that I’m going to use with proxmox to share some of the load from my nas. Today I setup tailscale and for it working with unbound DNS so I can use my domain when connected.

It’s endless!

• krash@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

There’s so much you could do.

• have a reverse proxy for your services, as containers
    • connect then through netbyrd or nebula if you want the FOSS route (or headacalescale)
    • set up an IDPS, such as fail2ban, snort, etc
    • Set up a backup job, there’s many projects that does this well - check out Borg and kopia.
    • since we’re on linux, try out different shells. Zsh or fish are pretty popular and pretty to look at.
  • SuperSpruce@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Using Ubuntu as a daily driver, due to a class requiring some kind of Linux software (options were WSL, which gave me a weird error, VM, or full install).

Never have I tried to actually use desktop Linux as my primary work computer for more than a couple days.

• The Doctor@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m going to be building out a third wireless access point with OpenWRT to get better wireless coverage in the house.