I got a minimal setup with pihole and nextcloud. I was wondering what else I could do. Share your ideas🙂

• bloopernova@programming.dev
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

With extra bonus: write an installer script that symlinks the files to the correct place. Use Ansible, plain old Bash, or Python depending on your preference.

• indigomirage@lemmy.ca
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

I’m waffling between that or just setting up a bare git repo. Am prepping a VM or two to explore the pros/cons of each approach and to dive into the implications.

It’s funny - this project idea seems to free bubbling up everywhere this past week. I’m sure I’m seeing the consequences of search algorithms, but on Lemmy, it’s nice to see what is a definite and pleasant coincidence.

• lemmyvore@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

When in doubt always do a git init . and a git add, git commit every once in a while. You’ll never regret it.

• indigomirage@lemmy.ca
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That is the next item on my to-do list. I’ve already installed my own gitea container to run at home. Yes, I could use a public repo (set private) but I wanted I learn how to do this and besides, I wanted to cast a wider net for which files to store but not worry about inadvertently publishing something with passwords embedded…

• krash@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

I didn’t really see the benefit of this besides having a snapshot or backup of my home folder for my use case (I don’t have that many config/text files that needs tracking), but I can recommend chezmoi for those interested.