And since you won’t be able to modify web pages, it will also mean the end of customization, either for looks (ie. DarkReader, Stylus), conveniance (ie. Tampermonkey) or accessibility.

The community feedback is… interesting to say the least.

• Redex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

This is a non-argument. The fact the website is shit has nothing to do with the fact that ads are the payment method. If you don’t like the site, don’t use it. Nobody is forcing you.

If you saw a product in the store that costs double another equal product, would you go scream at the manager that this is outrageous? Or would you just buy the cheaper one and let the more expensive one go out of business.

Yes, an ad blocker would make the site more usable, but so would just taking the product without paying.

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s completely fair that services need to finance themselves somehow.

However

Ads nowadays are

1. Extremely obnoxious to the point where you can’t even read one paragraph before another banner loads in, moves the content around and screams at you

2. Not just ads, but also serve as trackers, which just completely goes beyond what an ad should be allowed to be

So, respectfully: Fuck ads. If a site can’t serve them without respecting what makes those two things a problem, they can [redacted] my [redacted]

• z00s@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Lol you’re so full of shit that I can’t see the content in your comment

• ArtemonBruno@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I started wondering if I missed out a world where stuff comes free. (Although this doesn’t stop me from hating irrelevant “sales pushing” efforts. I think most people just hate the irrelevant part, hopefully)