• Something Burger 🍔@jlai.lu
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

It’s a super common use case to have a primary monitor with high refresh rate and VRR, plus one or two cheaper monitors that don’t. Xorg doesn’t really support that at all without some really hokey tricks that severely impede usability.

I wish Wayland shills would stop spreading this lie. It literally just works. In fact, I’m doing it now on my laptop with a 144Hz 1080p monitor, and an external 60Hz 1440p monitor connected with Thunderbolt, with a dual-GPU setup (iGPU + nVidia, which Wayland doesn’t properly support, yet this is nVidia’s fault somehow even though Wayland compositors run entirely in user space, without interacting with the driver directly).

• ExLisper@linux.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 months ago

That’s why it doesn’t make sense arguing about it with Wayland fans. They always find this one obscure feature that X is missing and then claim it’s absolutely essential for everyone to have it. Most people have just one monitor, two equal/similar monitors, a handheld device with one screen or (and that’s the vast majority) simply don’t give a fuck that one of their monitors is working on a lower refresh rate. I’m glad Wayland finally found some traction with gamers obsessed with those things and is being adopted but the constant BS about everyone needing it is getting boring.

• skulkingaround@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        6 months ago

Mixed VRR is not an obscure feature for one. Most of my friends with gaming rigs have a primary monitor with VRR and use their old fixed rate monitors as secondary displays. Does it make a massive difference to run fixed refresh rate? No but it is noticeable and nice to have. Windows can do it and I paid for the hardware. Without parity on this kind of stuff, Linux is a hard sell to the people who do care about it.

Does it matter to Joe Schmoe? Probably not, but Joe Schmoe probably doesn’t care about Linux to begin with. You have to go for the tech enthusiasts first before you can get it to the masses.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 months ago

1.6% of gamers use Linux. 25% of developers use Linux. Typical tech enthusiast is not gamer. Just because in your bubble people use VRR doesn’t mean it’s important to majority of users. Most Linux users don’t care.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 months ago

1.6% of gamers is still millions of people. Entire industries exist on the back of much smaller customer bases than that. Might as well say we should stop caring about desktop linux completely since the server market dwarfs it.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              6 months ago

I’m not saying we should just ignore it. I’m saying that it took the time it took (a decade) for Wayland to become a thing because most people don’t need it. Some people do and it’s not getting traction but most people can still safely ignore it.

• HolyDuckTurtle@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

I believe we’re specifically talking VRR, which for me in Kubuntu did not work properly without switching to Wayland.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      6 months ago

With VRR? Xorg definitely did not support this as of a year or so ago without running a separate xorg screen for each monitor which prevents you from doing stuff like moving windows between your displays.

Mixed refresh rates worked okay-ish but VRR definitely did not work well in multi monitor setups.