• mlg@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

Flatpak packages still suck at integration without breaking something in the core app. They’re really great for bleeding edge and cross distro support tho.

Wayland still can’t do all the cool tricks X11 can, so it’s not like it’s really being forced upon anyone beyond X11 losing on potential major updates which is unlikely.

DEs are willing to switch to Wayland given that it is either equal or superior to X11 which is still not the case for several scenarios and applications.

• 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.worksOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

Exactly my POV. Do all the things X11 can, and I have no problem switching whatsoever.

Why did no one had any issues switching from PulseAudio to PipeWire? Because it was simply better. It could do everything PulseAudio could, plus a lot more. It was backwards compatible (with plugins of course) and there were practically very little issues with it at the point at which distros and users decided to switch. It was a finished product.

• Cypher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Speak for yourself, I’ve had enough issues with both PulseAudio and PipeWire to abandon gaming on Linux which is a shame.

• 0x4E4F@sh.itjust.worksOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

What exactly was wrong with PipeWire and gaming (Steam I presume)?

I don’t game, but I do music on Linux, use Ardour… sure, it requres some setting up, but far from anything super complicated.