I see i can find a foss version on f-droid, and that’s something not a lot of social networks can have, i don’t really like all the crypto bullshit and ads testing they’ve been up to lately, but still looks better to me compared to what Reddit have done lately or what other platforms have done in these years…

I don’t know about their privacy feature, but i wouldn’t trust their chat as for as far as i knew they were not end to end encrypted some time ago (except for secret chats).

Anyway it still looks like one of the at least still decent platforms out there, or am i wrong?

• calm.like.a.bomb@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I like telegram but russians.

You know, I have friends that say this, but at the same time they’re stuck to tiktok like crazy…

• madsen@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’ve skimmed through the whole thing, but I’m unsure what you’re referring to. A little help, please?

• chairman@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

On 16 April 2014, Durov publicly refused to hand over the personal data of Ukrainian protesters to Russia’s security agencies and block Alexei Navalny’s page on VK.[8] Instead, he posted the relevant orders on his own VK page,[29][30] claiming that the requests were unlawful.

On 21 April 2014, Durov was dismissed as CEO of VK. The company claimed it was acting on his letter of resignation a month earlier that he failed to recall.[8][31] Durov then claimed the company had been effectively taken over by Vladimir Putin’s allies,[31][32] suggesting his ouster was the result of both his refusal to hand over personal details of users to federal law enforcement and his refusal to hand over the personal details of people who were members of a VK group dedicated to the Euromaidan protest movement.[31][32] Durov then left Russia and stated that he had “no plans to go back”[32] and that “the country is incompatible with Internet business at the moment”.[8]

• NaN@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Career -> Dismissal from VK

He then goes on to found Telegram, with it based outside of Russia. I think their point is he has little reason to be friendly to Russia currently.

Of course, if you’re a dissident you would be putting a lot of trust in a Wikipedia editor.