I see i can find a foss version on f-droid, and that’s something not a lot of social networks can have, i don’t really like all the crypto bullshit and ads testing they’ve been up to lately, but still looks better to me compared to what Reddit have done lately or what other platforms have done in these years…

I don’t know about their privacy feature, but i wouldn’t trust their chat as for as far as i knew they were not end to end encrypted some time ago (except for secret chats).

Anyway it still looks like one of the at least still decent platforms out there, or am i wrong?

• chayleaf@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

It’s better than Whatsapp & Co since it’s FOSS. It’s worse than Matrix and XMPP since those are federated (and Matrix has e2ee). It’s about tied with Signal, Signal is FOSS but hostile to third-party clients, in exchange it has encryption on by default.

Telegram is known to occasionally hand out users’ data in extraordinary circumstances, but that’s pretty rare overall. It’s not the choice for super sensitive communications, but it’s decent as a better alternative for SNS. It’s very popular in Russia because it has public one-to-many channels and unlike VK and etc it mostly doesn’t censor stuff. I’ll never use Whatsapp, I have no reason to use Signal because nobody I know uses it and Matrix is better, Telegram is alright in my book.

Also it’s possible to buy anonymous telegram accounts, not sure that’s possible for Signal.