I’m just getting into LaTeX and am starting with a project I’ve cloned from GitHub. I immediately ran into problems compiling because of a bunch of missing packages. I was able to get it running by compiling, seeing where it failed, and installing the missing package, but I had to do this one at a time for over a dozen packages. Is there any sort of requirements.txt or package.json file that lists all dependencies so I can pipe them to the package manager to install?

• mumblerfish@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    6 months ago

If you are on linux the dist package manager usually have packages like ‘texlive-base’, ‘-extra’, and so on. I just install those and then very rarely do I have to do something peculiar and install a special package.

• pmk@lemmy.sdf.orgM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    6 months ago

I haven’t heard of any automatic way of doing what you describe. Something could possibly be made, but it would probably be more work than going through the logs to see which packages are needed and installing them. If you have the hard drive space, one solution is to just install all packages and hope that covers it.

Personally I think that it’s good practice to list dependencies in a comment in the top of the file, sometimes I even include links where to find specific fonts that are used etc.