Ars spoke with community mods about where Reddit goes from here.

• BendyLemmy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Interestingly, I just witnessed one example of a Federated instance being set up, received more than enough donations (basically, balance is now sufficient for 1 year with some extra to cover expenses) to continue.

We are entering a phase now where we must realise our internet isn’t Free. It’s sad, but true… we pay for our connections and that money doesn’t get passed down to our activities.

Reddit is perfectly within it’s rights - the ‘community’ are not the customer at all. They are there to be used… This ‘FUCK YOU’ pricing debacle is going along with the Twitter format - either make it profitable or let it die.

If it dies, then it’s going to be up to ‘us’ (not me, I’m too dumb to set this stuff up) take over… However, if I found a nicely federated alternative which allowed me to access other federated sites, I don’t see why every decent Reddit sub couldn’t be created and linked in.

I don’t even follow my subreddits on Reddit - I follow them on RSS, so they just appear as another feed - and only half my feeds are in Reddit - two of those have closed down, but (like c/dadjokes) some are appearing elsewhere.

• BaconIsAVeg@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit is perfectly within it’s rights - the ‘community’ are not the customer at all. They are there to be used… This ‘FUCK YOU’ pricing debacle is going along with the Twitter format - either make it profitable or let it die.

The community is the product, advertisers are the customer. All social media companies are the same in that regard.

It doesn’t matter to me, let it die. All I needed was a link aggregator where I could read various opinions on what was going on, and the occasional meme/cute animal pic. I can get those anywhere. I don’t need Reddit.

• Tetraprogrammaton@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think something interesting to consider is that a lot of people didn’t even know about this federated (un)social media - like me - and now we do know about it. They may have opened Pandoras box with this move.

• Atemu@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We’ll continue to be profit-driven until profits arrive.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

• Flaky_Fish69@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

my morale is quite improved. I’m here now. maybe not quite full time.
      but I’ll be getting my content here.

• ivlarac@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I feel the same. Reddit used to be my main source of content and information but I’m so upset that since the blackout I’ve migrated myself to the federation. Once Apollo dies I’ll just delete it and forget about Reddit. I just hope the federation gets enough push now so we don’t go back to Reddit for a lack of content

• WebCrawlerReborn@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

My attitude at this point is let them go public and let them eat their own tail. It doesn’t matter. There are alternatives. As Tetra pointed out, this whole debacle opened up a pandora’s box on to them now. Sips Tea

• CadeJohnson@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I (tediously) deleted my posts and comments - wow that was a book! I am not deleting my account however - there is no useful data in the account existence, imho.

But speaking of trust, and such meta-issues. I wonder where I will INVEST such effort again. Kbin and Lemmy and fediverse in general have a lot of potential, but it is VERY DIFFICULT to assess engagement. I know they want people to not chase “likes”, but on the other hand, a person wants to put their effort in a place where it seems to provide the most social value. Reddit upvotes gave that in some degree - though a brilliant reply that was misplaced could still be downvoted. I don’t see how the fediverse can prosper and be a repository of accumulated wisdom, if there is no way for the community to call out wisdom when they encounter it.

• roofuskit@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit will be restoring your comments. They already started restoring mine. I am using Power Delete Suite to overwrite them all through my browser on repeat until the API changeover. I assume they are just rolling back a single version and may only keep so many edits in the database. So I will just flood them with changes.