Y’all seem like a bunch of friendly folk. I moved to the research triangle, North Carolina during the pandemic and need to rebuild my social circles. Unfortunately I work from home and have a toddler and an infant so meeting new people in real life has been extra challenging. Anyone in the area here? I’m building a 90s themed arcade in my shed, ask me anything!

• autumn (she/they)@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

oh hello! i am in the triangle as well. i also work from home. i don’t have any children, i do have two dogs (and a rotating foster opening). occasionally some folks from the local mastodon server will get together to hang out, so i wonder if that could be a social option?

• Bri Guy @sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Howdy! I’m up in Virginia which isn’t exactly the closest but it’s nice to know there are folk on the east coast using Lemmy 🤙

• PotentiallyAnApricot@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hello! I’m not near you (rural New York) but I also moved during the pandemic, and while I don’t have kids, I do have an illness that makes it currently impractical to go out and meet people irl. How are you liking North Carolina? Tell me about your arcade!

• Hexorg@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I have this big shed - 28’x16’ with a gambrel roof. So I’m going to add a floor separating the attic and the main floor. The way the roof slopes the attic is still going to give me 7’ of clearance so that’s where I’m going to make an arcade. I made a really nice collection of laserdiscs from local Craigslist/thrift store sales, also an old pentium 3 desktop with windows 98. My friend wrote a proxy to the Wayback machine such that is you go to say yahoo.com it shows you what it was in 1999. Any website is from 1999. And a lot of the old games are abandoned too and can be found on archive.org

• green_witch@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hello! I tried to reply on mobile, but it ate my response!

We’re in the same neighborhood! Isn’t it funny how those crusty arcade carpets come back to haunt our memories fondly? I’m sure in some way they live on, given how many new and terrifying bacterial cultures probably developed in those things lol.

Building an arcade sounds so cool! We’ve been using the MiSTer FPGA hardware to faithfully simulate retro games, here. Even got some 8bitdoo arcade-style controllers and customized them with nice SANWA(?) buttons and sticks! Unfortunately, I’m not the most tech savvy or knowledgeable of the pair, but I do my best!

Are you going to be making cabinets or just doing your own thing? Really curious to hear more about it!

• Hexorg@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m actually doing something more PC/home entertainment related because that’s what I grew up with. I have a collection of laserdiscs and a windows 98 computer that can use dial up and actually get to an archived internet that was in 1999.

• Hexorg@beehaw.orgOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I grew up playing PlayStation 1 and windows 98 PC. So everything from that era. My favorite PS1 games were front mission 3 and test drive 6. PC games - Doom 2, knights and merchants, Caesar 3, command and conquer.

There are a lot more that I played but these probably have the most hours in.

• Wayfinder@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Awesome!

• Command and Conquer is a favorite of mine as well, I really hope they remaster Tiberian Sun like they did with Tiberian Dawn. They did a great job with the remaster, even with a newly recorded score from the original musician Frank Klepacki and the Tiberian Sons band

If you’ve not seen the upcoming RTS: DORF you should check it out. It’s on the open source OpenRA engine and really throws back to the Command and Conquer / Red Alert Era from the music to using 2D Sprites. I’m really excited for it.

• The MiSTer FPGA Project green_witch mentioned is amazing for early PC (pre-1995 usually) and Console preservation / recreation, especially if you want to save some space or can’t afford the original hardware / maintain it or have the space for it.

It can do early Computer cores like the 486DX33, Apple I, Apple II, Atari800, AtariST, Commodore C16, Commodore 64, MSX and more. It can also do the Playstation 1 even more accurate than most other methods or emulation. Really impressive.

• sibloure@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I would love a local Lemmy community but don’t have enough to post to create one for my area (I’m not in your area). I don’t have any advice but I bet it’s nice to have the arcade as a project to work on.

• TechyDad@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

One of the very few subreddits that I am probably going to keep going to is the one for my local area. I’d love to see a replacement for it here, but I’m not sure it would be active enough.