This was a really hard decision for me but I purged all my posts, votes and comments via Shreddit. I then deleted all my accounts. I’ve been on Reddit since it was just a baby website. I love Reddit, the friends and the communities I was involved in changed my life for the better.

We’ll see how it goes but the only way we are going to win this fight is to walk away from Reddit. We have to send a message to them and the only way to do that is to hit them where it really hurts, right in the wallet.

Change is a good thing and I am ready to embrace it. I’m all in on kbin now. Let’s see where we go from here 🍻

• EvilColeslaw@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I did it after the “noise” memo leaked. 12+ years of Reddit gone. I left Digg in the Exodus and I’m not taking Reddit’s shit either.

• solidgrue@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Social media comes, and social media goes. Reddit.has peaked and will join the others in the dustbin of failed public offerings.

As it began, so shall it end: a snoo in a strange land.

• Senokir@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t even want to win any fight anymore. I don’t want to use Reddit regardless of what they do with the API anymore. The API changes and the way that they have reacted to the backlash is just the straw that broke the camel’s back. And even if they revert all of the changes it’s too late to take back the way they’ve acted.

• HopeOfTheGunblade@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Y u p. I’d been thinking about getting out for a while; management of the site has sucked for some time, and it was pretty clear things weren’t going to get better. They have, instead, gotten significantly worse. This was a nice kick, with a lot of push towards getting a critical mass of users onto a new platform. Even if most of the reddfugees don’t stick, some will, and kbin / the fediverse can keep rolling forward. I deleted a 2 year account, and a 13 year account. Cya!

• DPS_Not_Included@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Same boat here but, I am really enjoying this fresh new community on kbin. Each day there are more and more new posts which looks promising.

• Jaybot@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve deleted all my comments from the last 10 years a few days ago. Riding it out until the 30th, and then I’m out. kbin looks like the perfect replacement/alternative that I’ve seen so far.

• sternail@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I‘m thinking about not deleting the account, but selling it. Not sure what will hurt reddit more.

• pezhore@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I didn’t realize until the blackout how bad Google search results are without Reddit. Everything from finding video game hints to recommendations on the best bicycle seats… All the best, trustworthy content was from users on Reddit.

I’ve compromised by using Google cached search results to avoid giving Reddit views.

• OctoFloofy@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I wonder how good instances will be able to appear on for example google. I do have my own calckey instance for example but dont yet understand how indexing stuff works

• OneDimensionPrinter@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m primarily on mobile, so I put lemmy shortcut in the place where reddit was. Haven’t deleted it, but it’s working!

• rammer@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Please check that your comments and accounts stay deleted! Apparently Reddit is restoring deleted comments.

• Jaluvshuskies@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This has to be bumped up higher, I think people are still deleting their accounts before making sure their comments are either staying deleted or rewritten!!!

• Noother@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’ve started seeing threads on reddit now stating that deleted/edited comments are getting reverted to their original forms. This includes ones done from Shreddit and PowerDeleteSuite etc.

• Onii-Chan@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It happened to me three times after using PDS. I ended up using a Tampermonkey script called Spaz’s Reddit Delete, which also scrambles all comments and then deletes them, with an appropriate window of time between each action to avoid triggering any anti-spam response. This seems to have done the trick, and my comments or submissions haven’t reappeared.

• Tyrannosauralisk@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Honestly it kinda just looks like server issues to me with the delete request getting dropped before completion or something, but still showing correctly client-side until re-loaded.

That said, I’ve edited all my comments to gibberish and left them up in that state. I’ll check and see if any are back in a week or two.

EDIT: I take it back, it’s not server issues.
      EDIT2: It seems like comments in private subs didn’t properly save the edits.

• Brianala@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I deleted a bunch of my posts and comments manually earlier this week (did not use any tools, just clicked edit > delete) and now all of those posts and comments are back. The posts showed as gone for several days between. This isn’t a server error.

• bio@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Shreddit also edits your comments before deleting them IIRC. In order to prevent stuff like this from happening.

• QuentinP@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Deleted my 1yo alt and my 12yo reddit account. Don’t really use third party apps, but I their whole attitude was awful and it’s not like thing are going to get better there.

• CatNamedShithawk@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This doesn’t just send a message to Reddit. In fact, Reddit is failing to heed the lessons of history to their own current detriment and ultimate demise.

Community is everything in this landscape. Treat your user base like shit at your own peril.

• Televise@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I personally would prefer to keep my comments and posts and just delete the account. That way others don’t have to go to cached and archived versions of pages if a subreddit isn’t privated to see the full context of a comment, and it’s just better for overall preservation.

• Parallax@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Same here. I don’t want to wipe out all the valuable info I’ve contributed over the years just to satisfy a desire to get revenge. The amount Reddit as a company suffers from deleting a single account is negligible, but that account could have exactly what someone needs one day. We’ve already collectively lost a lot of knowledge and information in just the past 10-20 years due to things not being archived properly - think source code for old games, websites pre-Archive.org, out of print books, etc.

• @Parallax@kbin.social yep, while i do agree everyone can decide if they want to delete their data it unfortunately causes loss of knoweldge possibly. Like i browse r/Latexadvice. If suddenly tons of people would decide to delete their comments lots of people trying to find information would suddenly have a way harder time.

• 0xtero@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Welcome to the gang, gang. I deleted my accounts when Christian put out the message about Apollo closure.