• ReadingCat@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I think the main problem is that requiring and checking if someone can learn a skill you need is a lot harder than just making the skill a requirement for the job right out of the bat.

• PuceDogs@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Determining if someone can actually learn certain things on the job is pretty difficult in an interview setting, it’s way easier to just do a technical interview.

The alternative is probably something like a probationary period where you work with no guarantee of continuing but that’s a massive waste of time for everyone involved and not fair to the candidate.

In my experience, if you go with the candidate that seems the most well rounded, you’ll have the most success. Going with someone that’s a technical genius with no people skills makes it harder to fit them in a spot where they’ll shine - at least in a smaller company

• morriscox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

The first paragraph was easy for my previous employer. At the start of the interview, my interviewer pointed out the wallpaper of his brand new grandson. During the interview he noticed that I kept looking at his monitor. When he asked why I was doing that I asked why he had it on the lowest resolution. We switched places and I changed the resolution. The wallpaper disappeared and my heart felt like it had stopped.

Thinking quickly, I said that if the picture was on the hard drive that it would have reloaded and it obviously hadn’t been downloaded so it must have been in an email. He smiled and said that I was right and I spent the rest of the interview in his chair and I got a call that day asking if I could come in that day.