• @GregorGizeh@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      244 months ago

Same here. I understand the arguments made against the two prequels about them not being really alien; but I found the actual main character of David very interesting and well portrayed:

Man’s ideal creation, superior in many ways, yet without a soul. Bound to his creators, yet fully aware of their inferiority. At the same time desperate to emulate them and yet filled with violent resentment. Hungering for meaning and understanding, but never able to truly grasp either because he is after all, still a machine.

Then they also opened up a ton of questions about the engineers that might not get answered now, which also sucks. Are they all dead now? Why was the sleeping one hostile, and on an apparent mission of genocide to earth, after they seeded our life at the start of the movie?

I would have enjoyed to see how their story ends, presumably with the events that lead to the original crash site on LV-426.

• @Admetus@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        4 months ago

I think it was a trap should the life they seeded become space farers. When the humans arrived the engineers would have taken matters into their hands to ‘reset’ the world. But alas there was already an incident making most of the planet and engineers dead so one engineer was defeatable.

David went and did a ‘reset’ on the engineers planet. Not for revenge per se, but to remove a species that didn’t serve his purpose.

All my conjecture but it seems the engineers were not too happy either to see space farers, or to realise that the space farers had produced an AI which they abhored for its inherent evil. I recall that the engineer was angered primarily by David talking to him, and David was talking about immortality for his master which was probably the final straw.

• @moog@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          4 months ago

The what was answered, but was the why answered? , and the xenomorphs were created by David using the materials the engineers used to do the genocide. They weren’t made by the engineers directly

• littleblue✨
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      4 months ago

I like the li’l murderbaby 🥹❤️‍🔥🤘🏼 He’s like Stitch in a timeline that didn’t have Disney. 🥰

• @NuXCOM_90Percent@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I know the continuity is very murky at this point but… holy crap it feels like there were more xenomorphs and predators on earth than there were humans at this point. At least Predators (which is woefully underrated… and has a weirdly jacked Adrian Brody) realized they could tell the same story In Space!

But also… I like a lot of the verbiage about using the xenomorph as a way to explore human flaws. That is what horror and science fiction are amazing at. But also… a Xenomorph is like a Tyranid and a Zerg (for very obvious but legally distinct reasons): Once you have one on a planet, that planet is fucked. So unless this ends up being set in Hiroshima (which would be amazing but also in horrifically bad taste) or Tunguska… we got ourselves a problem.

Prey worked so well because the nature of the Predators is that they are very much sentient hunters who are cultivating their prey. Xenomorphs are devourers.

• MamboGator
      link
      fedilink
      English
      164 months ago

Just wanna reply to say Predators and Prey are both amazing films. My #1 and #2 in the series, respectively. Predators is definitely underrated.

• MamboGator
    link
    fedilink
    English
    234 months ago

I would be more interested in this if it hadn’t been confirmed that it’s set on Earth.