• Worx@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    6 months ago

My diesel van struggles to start when temperatures get around freezing. That’s just a thing that happens to all vehicles. -23C (-10F) is pretty cold

• Worx@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

Also the battery that turns the starter motor gets drained. But I take your point, diesel is more susceptible than petrol / gas.

• ColeSloth
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 months ago

My gas car never has issues, and your diesel wouldn’t either if you plugged in the block heater. I’m a big fan of “tech” and like innovative and new stuff and all that, but I also think all electrics are a huge waste right now. Small inner city all electrics with like a 75 mile range is not bad, but the 200+ mile ones are just asking for problems. Batteries are too heavy, too big, and just don’t last long enough. Needing a new $20,000 battery to make a 15 year old car work again is never a good idea. Here in the next 5 years (now that electrics are about to age out) people are really going to start seeing the issue.

I’m sticking to gas or hybrids for now. Cheaper to keep the older ones on the roads. Current lithium batts just aren’t high enough on their cycle count.

• RubberElectrons@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        6 months ago

This moron, again with the false claims. Hey! Stop being a clown!

• your local not-afraid-of-your-bullshit electrical engineer
        • ColeSloth
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 months ago

I like how I take up enough head space in your mind that you always recognize my name and comments. I’ve never remembered yours and you aren’t even an afterthought to me. Lol

• RubberElectrons@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            6 months ago

I recognize you out of pity and contempt. At least one of us has a working memory, and perhaps that’s why I tend to be living in reality 🤷

• FrederikNJS@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

The 15 years to dead battery figure you mention is wildly out of proportion.

Everything points to current batteries degrading less than 5% over 10 years… So even at 15 or 20 years there would still be plenty of battery health left.

• helenslunch@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 months ago

your diesel wouldn’t either if you plugged in the block heater.

You know EVs have heaters too? Only like 10x more powerful.

• ironhydroxide@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 months ago

I find it funny you didn’t point out that if you can plug in a block heater, you can plug in the ev.

But yes, ev usually have better heaters, though they use the battery for that unless they’re plugged into a large enough charger to offset that energy drain.