• hubobes@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Price is not even the issue for me, it’s availability. I tried to book a ticket from Zurich to London for December. There are apparently not connections available anymore. I would gladly pay more than if I would be taking a plane, just give me the option…

• plactagonic@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There is Europe problem with integrated universal ticket system. There is lots of lobbing against it mainly from France, Italy, Spain. Then there would be some accountability for late trains, connections made… They just don’t want to do it.

• hubobes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah…sad to hear that. I did it before a few years ago, really nice experience. Sad to see it go.

• plactagonic@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Political will isn’t there for this. Main issue is that all companies operate independently or nationally. There are rare cases where it somewhat works. I can take train to Vienna or Berlin from here and it is pretty much painless experience.

• tal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

There is Europe problem with integrated universal ticket system. There is lots of lobbing against it mainly from France, Italy, Spain

I’m not sure whether a common ticket is a good idea, but I also don’t see why this needs to be a barrier. Other than Portugal and the UK, which need to connect through those countries, no other countries in Europe need France, Spain, or Italy onboard to agree to a common system. You just can’t travel in those countries with it.

EDIT: Well, okay, and Andorra and Monaco and Vatican City.

• Zeth0s@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

More than accountability is likely prices. Train in Italy is much more expensive than switzerland or Germany. A single ticket would force them to lower prices

• hubobes@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Awesome thanks, yeah I can’t choose a plane if there is a reasonable train connection available. I will never set foot in a plane that is run by a company that can somehow afford < 60 euro tickets.

Edit: I see, it seems to be the date I want to travel, December 20. does only return a bus connection.

• AvoidMyRage@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Up to you. I never understood that attitude, people act like air travel is the only one subsidized, meanwhile (at least in Germany), everything from tracks to new vehicles, tickets (like the 49€ ticket) to covering of losses is subsidized by our taxes. And they are still way too expensive.

Meanwhile, airplanes are actually shockingly efficient per kg/km travelled - the train is just even more efficient. Most of the airlines even give you an option to offset your CO² footprint for the flight. Taking the difference between train and air travel and donating it to a worthy cause would likely be the most valuable option from a world saving standpoint.

But that’s neither here nor there, I understand it’s about feeling good as much as it is about efficiency.