• poVoq@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Some managed to do so, but 10% inflation is exceptional anyways.

Otherwise I don’t agree. Obviously the poor are effected “the most” by any adverse economic effect due to their low coping capacity / economic buffer. But that they are especially affected by inflation is not universally true.

You need to drill down a bit further what inflation actually entails. The common “basket” used for calculating “the” inflation is far from perfect and depending on your consumption pattern you might hardly see any inflation in your personal expenses if it is mainly driven by an increase in energy costs as was the case in Europe during the last year.

Classic inflation aka devaluation of money only effects those that have money (savings). Of course if you have an increase in certain prices due to some external shock this can have a much broader effect, but it is actually wrong to call that “inflation”.

• Incandemon@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

increase in certain prices due to some external shock this can have a much broader effect, but it is actually wrong to call that “inflation

So what should I call it when my food budget balloons, because the grocery stores are calling it inflation?

• intensely_human@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

This model you’re putting forward seems to imply that when energy costs increase, it isn’t really felt by the poor.

Here in Colorado, lots of food has doubled in price. That’s big for poor people.

What I’m asking is: is the food not a major component of inflation in Europe as well. And if it is, do you not see that as connected to energy prices?

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You need to improve your reading comprehension. I never said any of these things.

Obviously energy prices can have an impact on food prices, in fact they do a lot with conventional agricultures dependence on fertilizers made from natural gas.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

While we’re discussing reading comprehension, I actually made an argument as to why the poor are especially, universally, affected more by inflation.

You can’t just counter the conclusion without countering the argument. How is what I described not something that’s always operating anywhere inflation is happening?

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Because you failed to understand my argument. I did address your concern above.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

Your argument is that because poor people don’t have savings, they don’t get affected by inflation.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

No, my argument is that people with savings are effected more by inflation specifically, but of course due to low coping capacity poor people are more effected by any negative economic situation. However if you have no savings, but a relatively stable inflation adjusted income, then inflation does not effect you much.