I got an OLED SWITCH for Christmas and I’ve been diving into the emulated games. So much fun but I normally emulate games on my miyoo mini plus or pc.

I’m wondering which device do you prefer to use?

• TwilightVulpine@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Frankly emulating on other systems is simply better by all the improvements you can do over the base experience. Especially when it comes to 3D games. Not to mention the libraries are much more expansive. I think the only advantage of NSO is the integrated online multiplayer being more seamless and easier to find other players in.

• PonyOfWar@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I usually emulate on my Steam Deck. I still have a Nintendo Online subscription going as it’s required for multiplayer (hate that that’s a thing), but I rarely use the emulators. I wouldn’t pay for the Online+ subscription, it doesn’t seem good value to me.

• Domiku@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m in a similar boat. Before I had my Steam Deck, I played retro Nintendo games on the Switch. However now I prefer to move between my Steam Deck, PSPi6, and Anbernic handhelds (depending on what I want to emulate). It’s annoying that you can’t get the save files off the Switch, though. I have some games that I got pretty far into, and I would like to move those over.

• toxicbubble420@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

considering some games take years to play, I’d rather pay to own than do an annual subscription. otherwise, I’ll gladly emulate

• nromdotcom@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Over the years, I’ve become one to keep my media use as legit as possible. No judgement on anyone who doesn’t, but for a variety of reasons I have chosen to.

For retro games, that means my process is:

• Evercade - I’m a huge fan of the Evercade ecosystem and if a game is available there I will play it there first.
    • NSO - For games not available on Evercade, my next stop will be Switch Online.
    • Collections - If a game isn’t available on NSO, I’ll see if it’s available via a collection. Think Castlevania Collections, Arcade Archives, Namco Museums, etc. For these I’ll typically check reviews before picking it up and make sure the games play well as that’s not always a guarantee.
    • Unlicensed emulation - Only at that point will I fire up a game on my raspberry pi.

Though honestly I can’t really be bothered to tinker with shit as much anymore these days, so often (but not always) by the time I arrive at unlicensed emulation as the solution I’ll just decide to play something else instead.

• macniel@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Evercade - I’m a huge fan of the Evercade ecosystem and if a game is available there I will play it there first.

Heck yeah. The Evercade Library is so~ expansive, and the emulation is top-notch! Love that I can hook my Handheld to the VS as an additional controller, share the modules and savestates between the two consoles…

• Most of my emulation happens on my phone, because most of the games I like from back in the day play well enough with touch controls and are quick things I can play while waiting for various things while out of the house.

• luciole@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve gotten a few emulated titles on Wii and WiiU in the past. I preferred the Virtual Console collection from those consoles. You’d pay a few dollars for the title you wanted and you had it forever. I’m not a fan of the strange bundling of online services + retro gaming with Nintendo Switch Online… not to mention the expansion pack. I just don’t do enough retro gaming to justify it.

As much as I prefer going legit for gaming, if I get a retro craving I’ll probably just set sail on a trusty PC.

• Lupec@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

The way companies try and upsell retro games rarely ever wins me over, so I just stick to emulation on my Deck, whatever pocketable emulation device I own at the moment and PC 99% of the time. I’m a technical user and I have no qualms with pirating unrealistically priced or hard to access content, so the barrier of entry is basically zero to me. The only collections and such that catch my eye are the ones with additional QoL features, good supplementary material, stuff like that. I don’t even mean basic features like filters, scaling options, save states or rewinding, RetroArch probably does it better anyway, I mean things I wouldn’t be able to get otherwise like added difficulty settings or expanded content.

The perfect examples of what I’m looking for are things like Atari 50 and The Making of Karateka. Unrealistic to expect of most, granted, but the gold standard as far as I’m concerned. A good, more vanilla example is the Mega Man Battle Network collections, since they have proper online play and content that was previously Japan only.

• memphis@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I introduced a friend to Earthbound and we played it together on the SNES app. It was nice because I could watch them play and point my cursor to things, and even take the controls from time to time. It’s not a bad way to play games but I have better options for playing retro alone.

• macniel@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Problem would be, that the Games you get via NSO are only available as long as you pay the subscription while on other devices the ROMs (or Virtual Console Titles) you put there stay and be accessible.

So yeah, I play my gba, n64, … via other devices or even physical.

• FIash Mob #5678@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

There are some games that are so good I’ve been content to repurchase them on new devices, like Castlevania.

But I also have an extensive library of emulators on my PC, which is important too because many of these games can no longer be played otherwise.