When I was a teenager, I used to volunteer for the local library. It was a nice way to spend some time, discuss with the regulars about their latest readings, and feel useful to the local community.

What are your experiences?

• Pons_Aelius@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’m involved in our local community garden. We have just completed expanding our compositing facility and have a couple of hundred households households using it. The amount of food waste that no longer gets sent to a landfill is pretty gratifying and we produce huge amount of ridiculously rich compost. All from an inner city location in a city of 2M+ people.

• 𝒍𝒆𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒏@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Personally not that much apart from attending local gov meetings, kinda interesting to see what’s going on in the area, as well as grants available for local organizations etc.

I also try to get down to my local makerspace at least once a week, the winter is making that a bit challenging though since it’s a 40 min cycle in freezing temperatures. My cycle lights also need charging more frequently because of the cold… Can’t wait for summer to come back

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Personally not that much apart from attending local gov meetings, kinda interesting to see what’s going on in the area, as well as grants available for local organizations etc.

That’s already nice! I should probably start doing this more too

• grue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

In addition to the “real” local government, my city has a system of community-run boards that give recommendations on things like zoning variances and pending legislation. I’ve been involved with that for over a decade, and often represent my community serving on stakeholder advisory committees for transportation projects.

• other_cat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s not much but I attend the Farmer’s Market as much as I can, and I’ve become familiar with a lot of people there. It’s nice, being recognized and recognizing others in my community.

• Call me Lenny/Leni@lemm.eeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I try to be as involved with the world as I can, but oddly my experiences mostly involve the opposite. For example, I once asked if, hypothetically, I could volunteer at the library, and they said that, supposing this was someone’s mindset, they don’t accept volunteers, only paid workers. Not that they are unique, even after moving to a new community. Made a recent “collab” all the more genuine (“just do stuff, don’t wait for an invitation” as what many would say).

• Nighed@sffa.community
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I helped at my local park run this morning. They can fill out a lot of role with people doing their Duke of Edinburgh, but still need help so they get a chance to run too!

Edit: https://www.parkrun.com/ (for those that don’t know what it its - free 5Km run every weekend (with timing))

• Abird@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I work with my local sheriff department as a cadet of sorts. We are dedicated to volunteering around the county and doing stuff for the community. I really enjoy it because it helps people and makes people trust in law enforcement for the little things.

I’ll agree with a lot of people. Police are in a rough patch that unfortunately has led to a lot of distrust between police and the community they serve. That is exactly why I love volunteering where I do. I am actively building connections in the department I plan on working in, and building connection with the community I eventually hope to serve.

I am also going to be brought into my local volunteer fire department starting February, so I’m really excited to start that too.

• weeeeum@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I volunteer, but only when I can use my skills or expertise and I can do quality, unrushed work, I can be proud of. I don’t volunteer when it’s only busy work, and the volunteers are basically unpaid labourers that are ✨appreciated✨.

One of my volunteering is for sharpening local’s tools and knives to prevent waste and to ease people’s lives/work. Here the work is hard, takes lots of thought and can be physically intensive when there’s a lot on the table. I take pride in doing the hard and difficult where many can’t, while providing an excellent service. I don’t need to worry as if it’s a business, I can take my sweet time making sure every inch of the edge is perfect. In this case the work is fulfilling and I am genuinely appreciated and essential.

On the other hand, an example of the latter kind of volunteering would be carpentry for affordable housing (near me, YMMV). I would be ecstatic to work for it and learn, but it’s not really carpentry. They hire professionals to finish the components (timber frames), use volunteers to merely transport these components and professionals to install them again. The work here is busy and tedious. Not to mention you HAVE to come in before 8am, fuck that lol.

That describes a lot of the volunteering in many different ways. The nearby soup kitchen provides affordable meals, volunteers merely carry ingredients and dishes from place to place, while only the pros cook or have any control. Furniture restoration, I dabble in woodworking and was excited for this one, but same schtick, different place. Volunteers are the ones to break their backs lugging the furniture around for actual professionals to do the real work.

That’s why I’m soon thinking of helping the community garden, maintain the tools, educate and then do some busy work if necessary. More fulfilling and appreciated, as you’re working for “customers” directly.

• BlazeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Interesting, there are indeed situations where the split between volunteers and professionals is a bit debatable

• tygerprints@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Well I’m KIND of involved. I have volunteered at our local aviary (a lot of hard work and little else) and also at charity events like poker nights to raise money. I was more involved in California where it seemed like there were more opportunities than here in utah.