• TeaHands@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    vor 5 Monaten

Once managed to drop a bit on the floor without noticing, then step in it. Only realised when I attempted to suddenly turn and walk away, ripping my foot from the floorboard with a sound I shall never forget.

It was not a good day.

• MufinMcFlufin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    vor 5 Monaten

So I regularly use CA glue at work (which is what some super glues are) and here’s what I do to most of the time not get it on my hands: use a sticky note or other scrap piece of paper, pour a bit more than you intend to use, use a toothpick to pull a small amount off, apply to the intended surfaces, hold surfaces together for a few minutes keeping hands away from where they’ve stuck together. If you can hold them together with one hand then you can use the toothpick to try to smooth out the seam from excess glue if you have any.

CA comes in different thicknesses, and in general they set faster the thinner the glue is, so how fast you’ll need to do this and how long you’ll need to hold the surfaces together can vary between seconds and a few minutes. I’ve never tried using acetone to break up CA glue, but I know you can get a bottle of debonding stuff from BSI, which we use to great effect. Outside of that, hot water and gentle picking at the hardened adhesive will help if you get your fingers stuck together.