This is kind of hard to explain, but hopefully it makes sense. I don’t think a screenshot would help because everything “LOOKS” fine. But the characters in my Ubuntu VM console look funny. And I can’t drag my mouse across the text to select it. Nor cacn I right-click. The console works fine, and I can run commands. I don’t see the Ubuntu desktop, just this console. I don’t even really need the desktop, but if it’s there and I can start it up when I want it, that will be OK, but for now I would like to figure out how to get a regular console for this VM. Any ideas? Thanks, and sorry for the newb question!

• folkrav@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I have a feeling you’re talking about the TTY. You can’t use the mouse cause there’s no graphical interface to begin with. You’re in “pure” console mode. It’s probably why fonts look weird too. It’s probably just not running at your monitor’s native resolution.

As other people said though, it’s pretty much expected. Servers are more or less expected to run “headless”. You’d typically SSH in rather than plug a monitor directly in the machine.

• NeoNachtwaechter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I have a feeling you’re talking about the TTY.

I got the same creepy feeling.

Like someone trying to talk about fork and knife who has never seen fork and knife before :-)

• gregoryw3@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

You might have grabbed the wrong iso. There are two ISOs for Ubuntu, one is desktop which comes with a desktop and the other is server which only comes with a text console.

You can install a desktop onto a server image if necessary, however I would recommend just using a desktop iso and don’t bother with adding on and setting up all the desktop software.

If you want to be able to select text, copy and paste, I just SSH from Windows Terminal or Mac iTerm2

Alternatively if it is a desktop iso then you might have accidentally installed a package that broke things or have gone a tty interface. There’s so many different possibilities it’s going to be hard to help more.

• MangoPenguin@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

That sounds normal, server linux has no GUI/Desktop, only a console.

To get a full CLI that you can select/copy/paste in you just need to SSH in, instead of using the Proxmox console.

The proxmox console is meant for rare usage like installing the OS and recovering from failures, it’s not meant to be used as a daily way to interact with the VMs.