• Roderik@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Matter of fact, when you do get a raise you need to ask yourself if it’s truly a raise. Inflation decreases the purchasing power of your salary, so if you get a raise you might be getting what was your initial salary.

• ITypeWithMyDick@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

You did a fantastic job, blew all your metrics out of the park. You were herr 6/7 days a week for the whole year and did the work of 3 people. We couldnt be more proud of you. So I went to bat for you, really fought like hell, and managed to get your raise increased from 3% to 5&!!!

Inflation was 8+%

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

Just remember that I stuck my neck out for you. We’ve got a lot work coming in and I’ll need you to pick up some of the slack. Who knows, maybe this time next year you could be a team leader and switch over to salary. It opens a lot of opportunities.

• Honytawk@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

In Belgium we have mandatory wage increases to combat inflation.

Companies aren’t allowed to call them raises because that isn’t what they are.

Last year after Covid, we had an increase of 11-12%. Which was very nice.

• AwkwardLookMonkeyPuppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Why not just freeze prices then? I guess because you still have to purchase goods from abroad that wouldn’t freeze prices? Inflation sucks and I hate it.

• Liz@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

I hate inflation too, but I understand why it’s necessary. Imagine if rich people had an even easier time hoarding their wealth.

Although now that think of it, maybe at this point we really don’t need to create positive feedback loops for economic growth anymore.