I’m trying to never go back to the other place, but the thing I miss is that there was always a lively conversation going on somewhere. On lemmy, it seems people don’t want to just have a conversation-it’s either serious or techy- I’m looking for light conversations?

Does this happen anywhere on lemmy where responses to your comments come sooner than a day, and people are just sort of in the ‘lobby’ chatting?

• toasteranimation@lemmy.worldOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I remember before www, before aol, so when I was the first person going online in my friend group, everyone thought I was a lunatic. imo, crypto is the same. In a decade it will be ubiquitous and nobody will care what anyone’s opinion of it was in 2023

• canthidium@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah that’s probably true. I’m an elder millennial and I grew up without and with the internet. But that’s how it is with most things really. The world moves on and opinions are lost in time. Hell most people convince themselves they supported whatever it is all along.

I don’t know if I believe that crypto will be ubiquitous in a decade unless it starts to gain mainstream traction soon, but I can see something in that space.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I believe it will be ubiquitous, but happening in the background. People won’t be like, “hey what’s your bitcoin address dude, I want to send you .000000054”. It will be more like the sauce that powers a payment app like Venmo, but hidden in the background, making settlement cheap for the provider. The Strike app already does similar, and if a big cc company sees the light and tries using crypto settlements to square accounts, they will save billions on settlement charges. THAT’S where it will be used by everyone, they just won’t know they are using it

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

So the /r/bitcoin sub was decent. The /r/cryptocurrency sub went very toxic. I would put a lot of effort into it here if there were even a budding bitcoin community here, but it’s all crickets. I want to help educate people that bitcoin is both more and not what they think

• canthidium@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Well more power to ya. I hope the community gets bigger for that. I’ve pretty much wrote it off at this point, for my personal use I mean. I still try to keep an eye on what’s going on, but I’m just not interested anymore until something big happens.