I’m trying to never go back to the other place, but the thing I miss is that there was always a lively conversation going on somewhere. On lemmy, it seems people don’t want to just have a conversation-it’s either serious or techy- I’m looking for light conversations?

Does this happen anywhere on lemmy where responses to your comments come sooner than a day, and people are just sort of in the ‘lobby’ chatting?

• CloverSi@lemmy.comfysnug.space
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I like him, didn’t know he was in town. Sucks that it rained but at least there was rain lol, my plants are only barely recovering from the drought. Much better than earlier this year but still pretty dang dry.

• toasteranimation@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

It was last year. October or November I think. It’s so nice to stay at the hotel directly across the street from the venue so you can just stumble over there after the show and hit the rooftop pool. Great time

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

That does sound fun. I used to live real close to downtown, within staggering distance, though sadly I’m a bit too far west for that now.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 months ago

It sure beats the way I did it in the 80s and 90s, which was: get ripped on the drive up to Jannus (it was called Jannus Landing back then), drink red stripes for 6 hours while puffing the occasional random joint that went by, then driving the 40 or so miles back to Sarasota with one eye closed

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  11 months ago

Lmao you’re not wrong, though I’m surprised you’re still alive - and a little impressed. You’ve been around here a while, what do you think of the area now compared to then? I haven’t been here long.

link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    11 months ago

I don’t want to be that guy, but it’s a completely different place now because of the changes in: attitudes, increasing population, rising costs, transplants from everywhere sort of diluting the og laid-back lifestyle, too many go getter CEOs and shit. Most people didn’t like unnecessary development back then and resisted it, but now development is out of control. Same problems as everywhere, I guess. This part of FL used to be a bit of a secret, so we never had crowds back then in Sarasota, and St. Pete was developed, but sleepy. Different in every way