• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Inspired with some feature similar to the original works != plagiarism. I swear a shit tons of people just don’t understand what’s the nature of plagiarism is at all before sprouting nonsense like this.

And no, that grin on a cat face isn’t original to Pokemon, Cat Bus from My Neighbour Totoro has it.

• MysticKetchup@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

Are we looking at the same picture? It’s not that it’s a grin on the cat, it’s that it looks nearly 1-1 traced from Pokemon

• wildginger@lemmy.myserv.one
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Its a line of white triangles inside a half oval shape. Its the most cut and dry “cartoon sharp teeth smile” design on the planet.

• wildginger@lemmy.myserv.one
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Glowing yellow eyes is such an old cat stereotype that my grandmother finds it cliche, and the pals eyes are a sharper oval. The meowths ovals plateau and flatten more at the top and bottom, while the pals eyes have more of a pointed peak.

They used a “make shape” tool on some 3D modelling software. Egads, you mean the make shape software is going to make similar shapes?? As if its some sort of, what, algorithmic program?!?

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              5 months ago

I can’t find another smiling cat that looks quite like it. I mean, they have the same number of teeth, it looks at least a little bit sus

Not that I’m going to rag on this company for making a Pokemon that shares a face with Viking Meowth. Fuck Nintendo

• Black_Gulaman@lemmy.dbzer0.com
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                5 months ago

Well it might not be on the internet, but that smile and triangle teeth is how kids usually draw evil smiles when I was a kid. And that predates Pokémon.

• moon_matter@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Also we’re past 1000 pokemon now and a huge number of them are based on actual animals, mythical creatures, pop culture references etc. There are going to be similarities and it’s completely unavoidable. You would drive yourself insane trying.

• Annoyed_🦀 🏅@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        5 months ago

Am a pokemon fans, and palworld seems mostly based on established pokemon roster, i can understand calling it uninspiring design but to go as far as call it plagiarism is quite funny.

• 50gp@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

may as well let gamefreak have permanent patent on monster capture games at this point when people want only them to create any