Hello! So, I have always joked around with my friends about how when you say a particular word a few times, you start to question if it even is a word, or if it is spelled that way, etc.(think of tubing, or smock as examples) I have noticed in the past few weeks that I (37yr) am having that problem with almost any word that I try to write. We are talking about “and/it/the/Patrick” and whatnot, and it is really making problems for me at work.

Does anyone else have this problem! Does your brain automatically make all words sound fake?

And, yes, all words are made up… I am talking about the ones that currently reside in common speech.

• De_Narm@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s normal thing most of us experience. I’ve read a few more recent studies about it, but afaik there is no certaon explanaition yet. Here’s an excerpt from wikipedia describing it:

“A study by Chris Moulin of Leeds University asked 92 volunteers to write out “door” 30 times in 60 seconds. In July 2006 at the 4th International Conference on Memory in Sydney he reported that 68 percent of volunteers showed symptoms of jamais vu, such as beginning to doubt that “door” was a real word. Moulin believes that a similar brain fatigue underlies some symptoms of schizophrenia and Capgras delusion. Moulin suggests that people with these conditions could be suffering from chronic jamais vu.[1]” https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamais_vu