• beyondthegrave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I have too many…I’ll pick my favorite lessons as they’re all kind of related

Don’t stay at a job too long. Eventually, you’ll be training a new hire that makes more than you and they’ll probably be your replacement.

It only takes a couple promotions before your career development stagnates usually because you’ll always be seen as the person you were when you started. Get a new job elsewhere with a title higher than the place you left and that becomes your new baseline. Repeat every few years.

If you want to earn more money, get a new job. Bonuses magically dry up. And your yearly performance increase won’t ever keep up with inflation. Even lateral moves at a different company can mean decent salary inceease as market rate changes over time. (This doesn’t always work with a lateral move so shoot for a higher position).

Don’t sweat the specifics for job requirements in postings. They’re not expecting someone that hits every bullet point. That would be dream candidate that doesn’t exist. If you’re at least familiar with what they’re asking for and can pick it up, then you’re good. Most of the time you’re trained on the job anyway. Just demonstrate you’re competent.

(Oops didn’t realize this was a CS / programming community. Hopefully some of this still applies)